• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Lightroom tries to load two copies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lawrence Woodd

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I have a persistent problem with Lightroom Classic. since the last W10 upgrade (to build 18362) Lightroom (8.4.1) seems to load normally, but on the first cursor movement or mouse click, The splash screen reappears and a few moments later a note appears that a second copy of Lightroom is trying to access my catalog and to quit the program. I quit and MS notifies me that this is being reported. If i restart Lightroom i get an error message (Usually but not always) that lightroom is already loaded (But it's not visable anywhere). I have to reboot and usually on the second or third try Lightroom works normally. I have made NO hardware changes. and have been using lightroom for more than 5 years on a near daily basis.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

How are you trying to open Lightroom? 1. Click on an app shortcut on the desktop. 2. Click on the app in the Programs Folder. 3. Click on the catalog file that windows associates with the Lightroom App.

If it is the latter, there may be two versions of Lightroom app that are associated with the catalog file.

How are you trying to open Lightroom? 1. Click on an app shortcut on the desktop. 2. Click on the app in the Programs Folder. 3. Click on the catalog file that windows associates with the Lightroom App.

If it is the latter, there may be two versions of Lightroom app that are associated with the catalog file.
Shortcut on the taskbar - I l always use the same shortcut. I searched and there is only one copy of lightroom.exe on the hard drive

Shortcut on the taskbar - I always use the same shortcut. I searched and there is only one copy of lightroom.exe on the hard drive
This is a strange one!
By any chance is your mouse doing a double-click on the taskbar icon? This would try to start two instances of a program.
I do notice that a recent Windows update changed my access to the [Windows+X] shortcut (strangly on my desktop but not my laptop!). Check you mouse double-click rate.

Stop the Presses. - I went downstairs for dinner and in the interim Adobe updated me to Lightroom 9.0. I no longer have the problem detailed above, but there are some new ones. I'm shutting down, going to watch TV and will worry about this in the morning. Thanks for everybody's help.
PS - I slowed the double click way down and I'm sure that that wasn't the problem. Thanks tho, I hadn't considered it.

This may be a long shot, but most Lightroom weirdness is caused by conflicts with graphics card drivers, and some Windows updates have been known to mess up the graphics card drivers, so I would try uninstalling the graphics driver and reinstall the latest one direct from the manufacturer.

This may be a long shot, but most Lightroom weirdness is caused by conflicts with graphics card drivers, and some Windows updates have been known to mess up the graphics card drivers, so I would try uninstalling the graphics driver and reinstall the latest one direct from the manufacturer.
Bingo!!! You are RIGHT (as usual) - I didn't upgrade my graphics card when replaced the motherboard this spring, It was working OK and as you have probably noticed, when you can never replace one thing on a computer, New motherboard means you can't use your old memory chips, and you want to take advantage of the new solid state drives that install right in the motherboard, then you need a bigger power supply....
Anyways i discovered that Nvidia stopped updating software for my graphics card in May 2017. So out it went and I have a new 4GB card and all my problems have (so far) gone away. THANKS SO MUCH! Lightroom is so much easier with your books on the shelf above the monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back