• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Lightroom slowly grinds to a halt after about an hour

Status
Not open for further replies.

theferret

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I have a 64 bit Win10 machine with OS and lightroom files installed on a 250GB SSD with 80GB of free space. Images are on an internal 2TB HDD. Previews are on the SSD. Intel Core i7-6700 4GHz CPU with 32GB RAM. Nvidia GTX 960 graphics card. Shoot almost exclusively in RAW. LR 8.3.1. i have no external devices except keyboard and mouse.

So the story is that when i first reboot my pc and use LR everything runs extremely quickly in all modules. However as the first hour progresses things just turn to treacle until it is unusable. i will have been doing a lot of processing back and forth by this time. This is for tasks as simple as clicking on 4 images in the grid. Could take 5 seconds for each image to turn grey as selected. So this is nothing to do with previews or writing data to xmp. Task manager shows plenty of spare CPU and memory. System info in LR shows Real memory in use under 20% as does Camera RAW real memory.

I have recreated the preference file and did start to recreate the catalogue, but abandoned this as lost all my develop history and the reimport created numerous duplicates.

This kind of behaviour is usually associated with something filling up. I have no clue what as regularly clear out all my temp files. My wife has pretty similar setup and runs into exactly the same issues. Rebooting sorts it out temporarily.

Anyone any clues as to what is causing this as never experienced this with the pre-subscription versions and seems to have only become an issue in last few months.

Appreciate any thoughts that don't involve rebuilding the catalogue

Mike

I think your clue is the 80GB of freespace. Windows, Lightroom and other apps are using that freespace for temporary storage. Likely Windows is running out of room and waiting for available space to add a temporary file. It is possible to relocate the /TEMP;/TMP folder to a different drive but the best solution would be to replace that tiny SSD with a larger SSD. I think you need a minimum of 100GB of free space. SSDs are relatively cheap and if you can I'd suggest gettin a 1TB at a minimum.

Until you are able to upgrade as Cletus has suggested you could move your catalog and previews over to your other hard drive. That would get you some additional space on your SSD and remove any contention for space.

-louie

turns out my wife has a 500GB SSD. Having not realised LR needed 100GB of free space i partitioned this so that she could store thei mages she was working on actually on the SSD as thought that would speed processing up. I'm moving all of those on the HDD and delting the aprtition so that should give her 350GB of free space. Let's see if that solves things as if so then I know upgrading my SSD is the solution.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back