• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Lightroom shutdown very slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

bengt.ogren

Lightroom Version Number
Classic 9.3
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
What is LR doing during shutdown with no backup performed)?
I'm running Classic 9.3.
It takes several minutes before it disappears from the task manager in Win 10 1909.

It may be an errant plugin. Go to File > Plug-in Manager, select each plugin in turn, and click Disable in the Status panel. Restart LR and then exit again. Still have the problem?

Thanks a lot, John!
I did have a few plugins that I installed some years ago to try out but I never actually used them.
So I disabled them and now LR disappears from task manager within a couple of seconds. Amazing. :)
It will be interesting to see if this also affects overall performance in a positive way. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Regards
Bengt
Floda, Sweden

The plugins that I have are:
- Adobe Stock, V 9.3.0.202005281810-476e492c
- Athentech Perfect Exposure, V 1.0.10 (from 2016)
- Facebook, V 9.3.0.202005281810-476e492c
- Flickr, V 9.3.0.202005281810-476e492c
- Nikon Tether plugin, V 9.3.0.202005281810-476e492c

The only one that is not installed by default (I think) is Perfect Exposure
so that would be the main suspect.

However, now that I have re-enabled them all, LR still disappears from task manager very quickly.
So the problem is most likely something else.
Or could it be that the disabling/enabling could have caused some kind of cleanup?

I have had problems for quite some time with task manager showing 100% disk usage
even with low MB/s values and I get a lot of "Not responding" from applications lasting 5-10 seconds
especially when the app is starting. This includes LR.
That's why I have task manager running most of the time so I can see what's happening -
who is using disk and/or cpu more than normal -
and that's how I began to notice that LR often lingered around for quite a while after shutdown.

Disk analysis doesn't show any problems with the disk and I've googled for this
100% disk usage several times and tried every suggestion that people have offered
but to no avail.

So this is probably not a LR problem but since LR is quite memory hungry
that's where I "suffer" the most from this slow performance.

My PC (a HP tower) is pretty old (from 2009) and only has 8GB of RAM
and the motherboard doesn't support any more,
I'm still on Win 10 1909, I haven't been offered the update to 2004 yet
and I don't dare force an update in case the reason for the delay is something
that could cause trouble and hasn't been fixed yet.

I guess it's time to go shopping ... ;)

Bengt

However, now that I have re-enabled them all, LR still disappears from task manager very quickly. So the problem is most likely something else. Or could it be that the disabling/enabling could have caused some kind of cleanup?
Either is possible. And any of those plugins could have been the culprit, I think. (Adobe's built-in plugins aren't always of the highest quality and aren't well-supported.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back