• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Lightroom replacing old photos with new ones with the same name

Status
Not open for further replies.

raulcast0731

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
6.x
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom version: CC 2015.12 [ 1125239 ]
Operating System
Today I wanted to import some new photos I took but when I tried it they were grey and said that they were already in the catalog, but this was impossible of course, but when I
looked back in my catalog my older pictures with the same name (because I formatted my memory card) were being replaced one by one by the new ones. What can I do to fix this? If it is even a problem.

Lightroom sohuld not do that, but there are two easy ways of avoiding it:
1: Let Lightroom create folders by date. That way your new images are added to new folders, so they can never replace existing ones.
2: Rename your images on import. Add the capture date to the name, for example. That also creates unique images that can never replace old ones.

I do basically what Johan suggests. I have Lr automatically put files into folders based on the shoot date. When the image is being imported it is renames to the camera body serial number followed by a 4 digit sequentional number. I do that as I shoot with two bodies of the same model. I also have Lr fill out metadata such as copyright info....etc. The only way I can have two images with the same file name is if I shoot over 9999 images with the same body on the same day. That is very unlikely to happen.

Not all cameras store serial number in metadata, so sometimes unpredictable behaviour can occur. This nay not be your issue, but worth been aware of.

Also, you may wish to import images crom other sources than a camera, where the metadata may be stripped out.

my older pictures with the same name (because I formatted my memory card) were being replaced one by one by the new ones.

Can I just clarify... where were they being replaced? In the Import dialog, or on the hard drive? It just rings a bell as similar to another issue, where the import dialog was showing old thumbnails and then updating them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back