• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Lightroom RAW Conversion vs Nikon NX-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeQi

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Classic 9.2
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I recently moved from a Nikon D810 to a Z7 Mirrorless, which is also higher resolution (45 MP). Disappointingly, I can see a subtle but noticeable difference between the raw conversion of Nikon's free NX-D software and Lightroom's, with the former being slightly sharper and with truer colors. I am using the latest release (9.2) of Lightroom and have set the presets in preferences to default to the camera settings. The difference is noticeable enough to push me to use the Nikon software for raw conversion of important photos, which would be a major hassle.

Does anyone have any idea why I am seeing these differences or what I might be able to do to fix this? Is it possible that Adobe hasn't fully refined it's profile for the Z7?

Many thanks!

Be aware that the in-camera picture control settings are honored in Nikon software, but not in Lightroom. Sharpening, noise reduction, contrast (shadow/black/white/highlight as well), and the profile used all have a big impact on the raw conversion, and the defaults in Lightroom may not be ideal. Originally lightroom was very flat, but Adobe changed the defaults to be better (closer to camera's default), but what you are using will depend a lot on what you have done, how long you used it, etc.

Generally speaking you should take a "typical" image of yours (I realize that is hard to define, but try) and then spend a lot of time working with the primary develop settings, especially the ones I mentioned above. When you get them the way you like, just save as a preset (I would not include exposure and white balance in that preset, or anything else that is very shot-specific).

What each of us see in lightroom for raw conversion may be quite different; there are a LOT of options.

My experience with the Z7 is that Lightroom processing is almost minimal. I’ve progressed through a lot of LR versions with a lot of Nikon cameras starting with the D800. From the D810, I moved to the Z7. I’ve alway shot raw and never processed with Nikon’s tools. RAW images always need processing in LR. At first all LR did was demosaic to RGB, add a little tone adjustment, white balance, sharpen and some noise removal. With each successive LR version, I found that I needed to do less LR processing. With v9.2 and the Z7, Lightroom does most of the work with the Conversion from Raw and I add very little processing of my own.
I used to use develop presets, but I no longer feel that with the latest version of my camera and a Lightroom that I actually need them. Most of my Lightroom tweaking is a result Of the actual shooting conditions and my efforts to improve upon what nature gave me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back