Lightroom Print module clips the right hand edge off print.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sallynewcomb

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
I'm printing a borderless A3 print in landscape orientation from LR's print module, using the 'maximum size' template with no margins. I set the page setup as A3 borderless, scale 100%, but the right hand edge of the photo has been clipped. I'd left a 'cushion' of 2mm to allow for a mount and to ensure that this didn't clip the edge of the photo, but it's clipped about 3mm or 4mm off.

The printer is the Canon pro-9500 mark II.

Is this a common problem and if so, what is the solution?
Thanks
:confused:

Sally, the problem is likely the settings and the cell size. The A3 paper size is 11.69"X16.54" (297mmX420mm) The A3+ paper size is 13"X19" (329mmx483mm) just to be clear.
Can you send a screen shot of your settings?
Your image needs to be cropped to the same aspect ratio as the cell size and you have to select (or unselect) the appropriate checkboxes "Zoom to Fill" and "Rotate to fit" If your cropped image aspect ratio does not match the cell aspect ratio and "Zoom to Fill" is checked, clipping will occur.

Cameras commonly have an aspect ratio that is close to 1.5. A3 has an aspect ratio of 1.41 and A3+ has an aspect ratio of 1.46. Your image will not fit these paper sizes without cropping.

Last edited:
The image is a montage of 5 photos. I set it up in Photoshop, paper size set to 420mm x 297mm. I used a guide set at 418mm to help me place the photo which I didnt want to be clipped 2mm away from the right hand edge. Once finished, I imported the A3 montage into LR (because I trust the LR colour management when printing, more so than PS). I did tick the zoom to fill button, but saw the photo shift left, not right, so thought it would be ok. Just had a thought - maybe I should measure the Canon paper and make sure it actually is 420mm wide!? Here's the screen shot. Thanks for your help!
attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-09-04 at 17.25.30.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-09-04 at 17.25.30.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 408
Last edited by a moderator:
There's probably a setting in the printer driver for 'expand borders' or somesuch (I forget the exact name) which is only set for borderless papers. Try this at Min rather than Max.

It's designed for having no white bits around borderless prints. Paper size and paper transport in the printer isn't millimetre precise, so this setting is for mitigating this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back