• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Lightroom on M1/M2MacBook Pro/Air eating up all memory in seconds…

Status
Not open for further replies.

lrwok7664

Lightroom Version Number
Latest
Operating System
  1. macOS 12 Monterey
Good morning!

It is me again, with my still unresolved issue. To recap:
I have had 4 MacBook/Air:

M1 Air with 16GB RAM
M1 Air with 8GB RAM
M2 Air with 24 GB RAM
M1 MacBook Pro with 32 GB RAM.

The last two are my current Workstation/Travel- Computer.
On none of the above computers it is possible to run LR Cloud. (Classic runs fine).
symptoms are always the same:
1.) Start LR
2.) Wait 30-90 secondes (depending on available RAM), LR stalls, the system throws an error: no more system memory available. At that point LR consumes up to 140GB of RAM, dpending on the maschine.
3.) Force quit
After start of LR and until stall I can do nothing, Preferences can not be opened, etc.

I have done everything: fresh install, fresh library, fresh computer, fresh user, wait several hours, etc. I posted my problem over at Adobe community, but that seems to be the wrong place. Does anyone know how to contact Adobe and get usable software?

Thanks for any help, tip, etc.

Wolfgang

Thanks for the tip. I uninstalled LR and reinstalled, I deleted the catalog and the pictures - same problem.
Fresh computer, fresh user, fresh install (no restore), fresh LR via CC App. Same.

w:

In all of my testing one (and only one) thing stays the same: My Adobe Account. Is there a way to "reset" an account?
Syncing, whatever.

Thanks!
Wolfgang

In all of my testing one (and only one) thing stays the same: My Adobe Account. Is there a way to "reset" an account?
Syncing, whatever.

Thanks!
Wolfgang

I was once coached by Adobe to log out at the CC app level and log back in. That fixed a problem totally different from yours.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have you run the Activity Monitor along side running Lightroom and all of the other apps that are also running? This should give you an indication of where all of your memory is being consumed
Running both Lightroom Classic (3.13 GB) and Lightroom (1.39GB), my next larger consumer id the background process WindowServer (1.10GB) With everything else, consumption is in MB.
You might post a screen shot of the Activity Monitor showing Memory pressure. Perhaps it will help us with diagnostics.

Hello, All!

Thanks for help. clee01l; Its only LR eating up the memory. In 45 seconds or so ist 180GB.

Ok, I THINK I found the bug.

I wiped the 16" clean, installed the system and Adobe Lightroom. I did NOT use my Account, instead I opted for a new account and started the trial. I downloaded Lightroom - and guess what? running perfect.

It has to do something with my Adobe-Account. I thought, the easiest way is to just cancel my old account and use my new test - account, but Adobe will charge me nearly 30 bucks for cancelation??????

How can I solve this problem?

How do I reset my old Account

OR

how to contact Adobe to NOT pay 30€, just to get a working Software?

Thanks for help

Wolfgang

Hi Wolfgang. I remember you were having issues before... this was with the Cloud version, right? Is it ok if I pass your email address to a contact at Adobe to see if they can find the problem in your account? If so, is your Adobe ID the same as your email address here?

Hello, Victoria!

Thanks for jumping in. Today I canceled my subscrition under my email address (same as for my account here) and booked a new one. I chatted with accounting, I do not have to pay the 30€.
My old account is still live, if tech support wants a look inside - happy to share.

Thanks again!

Wolfgang

Oh good. Have you figured out how to transfer all of the photos and edits ok?

Ok, I am back again.
1.) I switched accounts, see above.
2.) I installed LRC and LR on my BRAND NEW COMPUTER. I transferred my LR Library from my Backup. I started LrC, works fine, all photos are there.
3.) There are no synced photos in my collection "All synced photos", which is fine
4.) I selected a collection with 10 Fotos to sync.
5.) After sync has finished, I quit LrC.
6.) Fire up LR.
7.) There are 10 photos, everything is ok.
8.) Quit everything, switch of my main computer.
9.) Start my Travel-Notebook (M2 Air with 24 GB RAM)
10.) Installed Creativ Cloud, entered new account credentials, downloaded LR
11.) Start LR, 10 Photos showing up. 90 seconds later LR uses 140GB of RAM and freezes.
12.) Force quit,
I posted my questions in the Adobe help section, but there seems to be no support from Adobe.

If anyone has the slightest idea how to solve this OR how to get access to Adobe support - very thankful!

Wolfgang

M2 Air, had you deleted the Lightroom Library.lrlibrary file from the Pictures folder? And then does LR open ok with nothing in your new cloud at all? It sounds like there's still some residue from your old account on the M2 Air.

Hello, Victoria!
I removed all photos from synced photos, deleted Library.lrlibrary file from the Pictures folder, startet LR:
90 seconds until freeze.

W

This is the same machine that was having trouble before? I'd try a reboot in between as there will be some caching going on.

Oh, and when removing all photos from All Synced, let's make sure it's cleared properly by going to https://lightroom.adobe.com > avatar > Account Info > Delete Lightroom Library. We want to get LR running on that machine before we add photos into the mix.

Really random thought, but there's nothing unusual about the user account, like accented characters in the username or something like that? It might even be interesting to test loading LR in a clean user account to rule out something in that account.

Will it let you get rid of that question screen? And does it always freeze at that screen? If you wait, does it unfreeze?

Yes, no, and no.
You can do some switching between pictures (if there are any in the library), etc.
Call Prefs - no way: Spinning beachball.
It freezes after 90 seconds whatever you do and stays that way.

Waiting longer makes the whole computer unusable until force quit on the power switch.

Wolfgang

With a clean Adobe account and a clean OS user account, it has to be a conflict with something else that's running on the machine

What about with no network connection? It's random, but I remember once having an issue with freezing when I was connected to wifi but my internet was down. If it works correctly with wifi disabled, I don't suppose you can try on a different network or tether your phone?

We are clutching at straws at this point, have you tried opening in Safe mode?

Ok, now it gets strange:
LAN-Cable disconnected, WLAN off, Start LR: uses around 600MB RAM, stays that way.
Switching on WLAN, adding a photo, doing corrections, syncing to cloud: uses around 1,88GB RAM, stays that way.
Quitting LR and restarting with WLAN on: Memory immediately starts running full.

Same with only LAN-Cable.
Switching of WLAN/disconnecting LAN after start of LR does not stop the rapid loss of RAM.
It has to do with LR on startup getting in the cloud and running wild.

BTW: Its several Macs on several different Networks, two WLANs, ohne mobile Hotspot, two LAN-Networks.

Thanks for help

Wolfgang

PS: I was wondering if there is some official Adobe-Support whom I could contact...

Oooooh now that is interesting! And that could be key to mention to any Adobe Support staff... and post it back on your Adobe Forum thread as I flagged it up for a staff member again yesterday.

Hang on, this is happening on multiple devices now? I thought the first one was ok? Any security software or similar running?

Yes, there's the chat and phone support, you might have to get through a few levels of tech support before you get bumped up to someone with the knowledge to deal with an issue like this, as it's not something we're seeing reported by anyone else.

It is on ALL my devices, that was my point to cancel may account and buy a new one. It worked a while (hours) on the MacBook Pro 16, and also at first on the Air, and on the Air it stated again.
It also happens on a brand new Mac only with LR installed.

I posted it again in the Adobe Forum, hope the best!

Wolfgang

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back