• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Lightroom On-line Courses

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidedric

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version 10.1
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Apologies for raising this again, but I'd be grateful for any pointers. I've been using Lightroom for a few years, and I'm reasonably competent with its capabilities as they were a year or so back. However, I've really not explored the newer stuff, specifically in Develop, and I wonder if someone can suggest a source of help. I certainly don't need a course that goes back to basics, but one that assumes an operating knowledge. Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks, I do have the Missing FAQ's. As I see it,once I know what I want to do it tells me how. What I am hoping for is something to lay out the possibilties. I'll check out Laura Shoe haven't been there for quite a while

Thanks, I do have the Missing FAQ's. As I see it,once I know what I want to do it tells me how. What I am hoping for is something to lay out the possibilties. I'll check out Laura Shoe haven't been there for quite a while
Please let us know what you find. Lightroom has so much functionality that I still sometimes feel like a newbie.

Phil Burton

@I-See-Light Thanks for these links.

I recently took a Tim Grey course, Optimizing Photos in Lightroom. Four two hour sessions. Full of useful information and the nice part is that you can download the course videos to your system.

Of course, it goes without saying that Victoria's FAQ book is an extremely useful resource.

Phil Burton

If it suits your style I provide 1 on 1 (zoom) lessons in Lightroom Classic. This is not a pre-canned course but we talk and I demo (on your system or mine) whatever topics we choose to discuss. This, of course could be a selection of the newer features of LR/Classic but it is really up to you. see https://www.danhartfordphoto.com/blog/2018/10/lightroom-lessons for more info.

Over the years I have tried a fair number of Lightroom tutorials, both free and paid, and have bought books (e.g., Victoria's) and read many articles. All that has been helpful. And, I know I still have much to learn in terms of technique (as a small example, I don't use the Flow and Density sliders very often, even though I know what they do, I'd probably benefit from learning them better).

At this point, what I think I need is something I have not (yet?) found: Resources that would help me to train my eyes, so when I first approach an image, I can assess well what needs to be done (or at least what could be done, and with what effect on the image). I recognize this is art, not science, but one CAN learn to "see" better. My personal example of this is how I learned to "hear better." In college I took a music appreciation course from the Dean of a conservatory of music. The course was different than most "________ Appreciation" courses, which often are really "History of __________" courses. We listened to a lot of (classical) music, of course, but more importantly, the prof taught us how to hear more than we could before. We spent a full week listening to the 2nd movement of Beethoven's 7th Symphony, and followed the score, and listened to the prof analyzing, measure by measure, what we were hearing and what Beethoven was doing. By the end of the semester, I could hear things I simply couldn't before! That's what I want to be able to do with my eyes and photographs.

The closest I've found to what I'm looking for is George Jardine's The Image Correction Class. Jardine explains what he thinks each of his example pictures needs in terms of correction, then explains how LR can do that. But, he doesn't explain WHY a given picture would benefit from what he thinks is the right thing to do. So, it's great as far as it goes, but I'd like to find more.

Over the years I have tried a fair number of Lightroom tutorials, both free and paid, and have bought books (e.g., Victoria's) and read many articles. All that has been helpful. And, I know I still have much to learn in terms of technique (as a small example, I don't use the Flow and Density sliders very often, even though I know what they do, I'd probably benefit from learning them better).

At this point, what I think I need is something I have not (yet?) found: Resources that would help me to train my eyes, so when I first approach an image, I can assess well what needs to be done (or at least what could be done, and with what effect on the image). I recognize this is art, not science, but one CAN learn to "see" better. My personal example of this is how I learned to "hear better." In college I took a music appreciation course from the Dean of a conservatory of music. The course was different than most "________ Appreciation" courses, which often are really "History of __________" courses. We listened to a lot of (classical) music, of course, but more importantly, the prof taught us how to hear more than we could before. We spent a full week listening to the 2nd movement of Beethoven's 7th Symphony, and followed the score, and listened to the prof analyzing, measure by measure, what we were hearing and what Beethoven was doing. By the end of the semester, I could hear things I simply couldn't before! That's what I want to be able to do with my eyes and photographs.

The closest I've found to what I'm looking for is George Jardine's The Image Correction Class. Jardine explains what he thinks each of his example pictures needs in terms of correction, then explains how LR can do that. But, he doesn't explain WHY a given picture would benefit from what he thinks is the right thing to do. So, it's great as far as it goes, but I'd like to find more.
I suspect that working 1:1 with somebody might be helpful for what you want. The challenge is finding who that person is that has the right set of skills to work with you in finding some "diamonds in the rough" and discussing how to learn to identify, and eventually bring out an image that you want. Perhaps you might need to try a session or two to see if you have found the most appropriate instructor?

--Ken

I suspect that working 1:1 with somebody might be helpful for what you want. The challenge is finding who that person is that has the right set of skills to work with you in finding some "diamonds in the rough" and discussing how to learn to identify, and eventually bring out an image that you want. Perhaps you might need to try a session or two to see if you have found the most appropriate instructor?

--Ken
Good thought. The challenge, as you pointed out, is how to find someone...Looking online is a bit like picking a name out of the Yellow Pages (shows my age!)...sometimes you win, many times you don't.

Thanks for the ideas (I'm the OP).

I really like George Jardine's style, but last time I looked he hadn't added in any of the new stuff. That doesn't invalidate the way he teaches, though.
Laura Shoe likewise
So I've decided to spend a few dollars with Tim Grey. He does start off very basic, but I'm going to follow at least for a while, because I want to understand his workflow.

I don't think 1 on 1 would help, because I don't know what I don't know!

Thanks all

I do one-on-one (over Zoom) LR sessions for folks like you (among others). I have helped many budding photographers hone their ability to finesse their images in Lightroom Classic and several of them have gone on to incorporate that into their businesses. I charge a flat hourly rate and we work with your images on your computer (through zoom). Most of my clients need technical help, but helping you analyze what is working in an image and what needs help in an image and then how to accomplish it in LrC is certainly well within scope. See: www.danhartfordphoto.com for more info and contact info.

PS you can see reviews of my teaching (and style) on my website or on yelp (Dan Hartford Photo)

Thanks for the ideas (I'm the OP).

I really like George Jardine's style, but last time I looked he hadn't added in any of the new stuff. That doesn't invalidate the way he teaches, though.
Laura Shoe likewise
So I've decided to spend a few dollars with Tim Grey. He does start off very basic, but I'm going to follow at least for a while, because I want to understand his workflow.

I don't think 1 on 1 would help, because I don't know what I don't know!

Thanks all
Dave,

I was pleasantly surprised by the three courses I took with Tim Grey. Two on Photoshop (which I barely know) and one on Lightroom (where I wanted to improve my DEVELOP module skills). It is really nice that you can download all the course videos and view them again on your system. There is simply too much useful information in his courses to just absorb it all in one go.

Pricing is also quite reasonable, and you get a discount as a repeat customer.

Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back