• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Lightroom Mobile sync on iPad stuck, no menus available

Status
Not open for further replies.

modre

Lightroom Version Number
Classic: 11.5 Mobile: Can't tell because it's stuck, but I downloaded it from the App store at the end of October, 2022
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
  2. iOS
I am a longtime Lightroom Classic user and have 145,000 photos on my QNAP NAS that I manage on my desktop Mac. This system works fine. I also have about 250 GB of images that I manage through the Apple Photos app (family and utilitarian photos), which I don't need or want to integrate into Lightroom. I recently bought a new iPad (iPad Pro, 12.9", 5th generation, running IOS 15.6.1, with iCloud sync turned on), with the goal of using it as my travel companion/interface with Lightroom. I have full subscription access to Lightroom Classic and Mobile. I installed Lightroom Mobile on my iPad and launched it. It immediately went to a screen that said "Updating... Lightroom needs to do some housekeeping. Migrating Thumbnails. This may take a moment." As of now that message has been running continuously for 12 days. I am unable to find a way to stop this process, access a menu, or in any way make Lightroom Mobile a functioning program. I would just like to be able to start the iPad Lightroom app and not have it automatically sync to anything. But as of this moment I have no understanding of how to stop the endless syncing to my large iCloud photo library and just be able to focus on the photos I import directly to the iPad. I could "disable and delete" the Photos app from the iPad but that would appear to disable and delete all the photos that live in the Photos app on my phone and MacBook. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

In Regards to your iPadPro, how much storage (memory) do you have on the device? Have you rebooted the iPadOS to clear the tablet and start fresh? I would suggest that 512GB of might not be sufficient storage for trying to initialize the Lightroom Mobile app on the iPadPro.

Force restart iPad
  1. Press and quickly release the volume button nearest to the top button.
  2. Press and quickly release the volume button farthest from the top button.
  3. Press and hold the top button.
  4. When the Apple logo appears, release the top button.

In Regards to your iPadPro, how much storage (memory) do you have on the device? Have you rebooted the iPadOS to clear the tablet and start fresh? I would suggest that 512GB of might not be sufficient storage for trying to initialize the Lightroom Mobile app on the iPadPro.

Force restart iPad
  1. Press and quickly release the volume button nearest to the top button.
  2. Press and quickly release the volume button farthest from the top button.
  3. Press and hold the top button.
  4. When the Apple logo appears, release the top button.
Disk space: 2 TB. Not sure how to check RAM on an iPad. Will try your suggestions and let you know how it goes. Thanks.

Disk space: 2 TB. Not sure how to check RAM on an iPad. Will try your suggestions and let you know how it goes. Thanks.
As art-flexion has pointed out, Lightroom mobile uses the Adobe Cloud for storing images The iPad does not use RAM as a separate component All of the Storage in the iPad is accessible to every app. When you purchased the iPad I came with 64GB, 128Gb,512 GB or even 1TB of storage As I suggested, 512BG of iPadPro storage might not be sufficient to load images that have sync'd with the Adobe Cloud.
How many images are synced the Adobe cloud from Lightroom Classic? Did you restart the iPad as I suggested?

As art-flexion has pointed out, Lightroom mobile uses the Adobe Cloud for storing images The iPad does not use RAM as a separate component All of the Storage in the iPad is accessible to every app. When you purchased the iPad I came with 64GB, 128Gb,512 GB or even 1TB of storage As I suggested, 512BG of iPadPro storage might not be sufficient to load images that have sync'd with the Adobe Cloud.
How many images are synced the Adobe cloud from Lightroom Classic? Did you restart the iPad as I suggested?
I have restarted the iPad as indicated. When I open Lightroom again it goes back to this same screen, which has been there for 3 weeks now:
1669525635417.png

Still stuck. Can’t get to any other Lightroom window or access any functionality in the program whatsoever…

If you're happy that everything's safely on your computer or in the cloud, I'd just delete the iPad app and reinstall it. 3 weeks is definitely too long! But you might try restarting the iPad before you go that far.

You don't have to store copies of your photos on the iPad. I was doing fine with 64k images on my old 128GB iPad Pro

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you're happy that everything's safely on your computer or in the cloud, I'd just delete the iPad app and reinstall it. 3 weeks is definitely too long! But you might try restarting the iPad before you go that far.
Deleting and reinstalling (and not selecting the auto-download option) got it back running again. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back