• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Lightroom Mobile Clipping Indicators

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Ryland

Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. iOS
I know that in LrMobile, when adjusting items like Exposure, Highlights, etc. I can touch the screen whilst adjusting to see clipping. Can someone explain what all the colours mean, it seems to go Red, Yellow and White as the highlights are adjusted, and all colours as Shadows are adjusted. This seems to correspond to some of these colours hitting the extreme edges of the Histogram. Coming from Affinity Photo which had a simple red for clipped highlights and blue for clipped shadows this seems extremely confusing.

Red = clipped white point (all channels)
Blue = clipped black point (all channels)
other colors = some combination of individual color channels are clipped

It’s not easy to remember what channel combination each color corresponds to, and this is one answer I could not find in Victoria’s Lightroom and Lightroom Classic books. Clipping is definitely covered there, just not the individual channel colors.

However there is a table of them for Photoshop in a book I updated (Real World Adobe Photoshop CS5, which is really mostly the wisdom and expertise of the late Bruce Fraser), so I attached a picture of that. If it can be verified that these are the same channel clipping colors being used in Lightroom (they seem to be, from a few quick tests), Victoria can use this as a starting point for inclusion in the Lightroom FAQ books. Unless they are already in her books and I just missed them…

Clipping-display-meanings-from-Real-World-Photoshop-CS5.png

Conrad,

Thanks for that, it’s a pretty comprehensive reply. They were just confusing me, it would be nice if you could have the option in Lightroom Mobile just to show they clipped Blacks/Whites just on their own without the others.

Tim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back