• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Lightroom metadata vs exported file properties

Status
Not open for further replies.

dougtatephotography

Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic 9.4
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I have a question regarding the metadata exported vs the properties of the file once exported. First of all, a have a photo editor that wants email, name, state, etc in the metadata of the exported file. I have a metadata preset I use, which includes all this information under the "IPTC creator" section, along with copyright information under the copyright section. When I export a file "all metadata" is selected in the export window. When I check the "properties" of the exported file, the copyright info is there, but there is no info that was in the "IPTC creator" section. Obviously I am missing something.
Thank you in advance!

What are you using to view the "properties" of the exported file? If you are using the Win10 File Explorer, it would appear that it users the term "Authors" for the IPTC field that LrC terms "Creator" (and in Jeffrey Friedl's Exif Viewer its's called "By-Line"). Different name for the same value, but it definitely should be exported if "All Metadata" is selected.

Can you post a screenshot of the Properties>Details screen (you'll need a couple of shots to get all the info shown).

Here are the screenshots of the details

Attachments

• Screenshot (7).png
    Screenshot (7).png
    104.5 KB · Views: 79
  • Screenshot (8).png
    Screenshot (8).png
    68.7 KB · Views: 84
  • Screenshot (9).png
    Screenshot (9).png
    77.4 KB · Views: 83
  • Screenshot (10).png
    Screenshot (10).png
    82.1 KB · Views: 75
  • Screenshot (11).png
    Screenshot (11).png
    75.4 KB · Views: 90
A quick test using these field values from LR:

1623697494894.png

shows that Windows File Explorer's Properties > Details displays the IPTC Creator field as Authors but it doesn't display any of the other IPTC fields listed under Contact.

In general, neither Windows File Explorer nor Mac Finder are good tools for checking metadata -- they omit many standard fields and don't always read the data correctly. Better to use the free Exiftool utility, a tool such as Exiftool GUI based on Exiftool, or the Metadata Viewer LR plugin (also based on Exiftool).

John beat me to it....I was just going to say that you don't see the "missing fields" not because they've been dropped during the export but because File Explorer simply doesn't show them (apart from showing the Creator field using the "Authors" label).

A quick test using these field values from LR:

View attachment 16742

shows that Windows File Explorer's Properties > Details displays the IPTC Creator field as Authors but it doesn't display any of the other IPTC fields listed under Contact.

In general, neither Windows File Explorer nor Mac Finder are good tools for checking metadata -- they omit many standard fields and don't always read the data correctly. Better to use the free Exiftool utility, a tool such as Exiftool GUI based on Exiftool, or the Metadata Viewer LR plugin (also based on Exiftool).
Jeffrey's website appears to be down right now. 7:10 pm, Pacific Daylight time, GMT-7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back