• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • The December 2019 Lightroom updates are now available. Lightroom Classic is just bug fixes and new cameras in this release, but it fixes a whole load of macOS Catalina issues.
    Lightroom (cloud-based service) has export options and direct import on iOS and the ability to contribute photos to someone else's account from the desktop/mobile apps.
    The Missing FAQ and Edit Like a Pro eBooks are already updated for the changes.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom 6 questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom 6 - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. When you upgrade to subscription, there's also a Lightroom Classic version available.

Lightroom locking up Apple MacBook Pro

Mike Myers

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
I have had the latest Lightroom (purchased) on my MacBook Pro for almost a year now. I've updated to Sierra, and never had a glitch.

About three or four weeks ago, I added the ON1 software, including the modules that allow Lightroom to access the ON1 program. All seemed well, but I haven't really used it much.

Starting maybe two weeks ago, while editing photos, my MacBook locked up temporarily. In every instance I was cropping a photo, and the "icon" on the screen that is used to show how to move an edge of a photo left or right got "stuck". I closed Lightroom, and re-started. One time there was a strange "shadow" that moved around on the screen as I moved the cursor. I should have taken a photo of it, but didn't think of that at the time.

Last weekend the same thing happened, but the entire computer froze. Nothing worked but for the mouse, the clock was "stuck", and I couldn't do anything. After calling Apple, I held the power button down until the computer shut off, then started it again, and right after I heard the "beep", pressed the COMMAND, OPTION, P and R keys. I think this is supposed to clear out the memory.

With the Apple service tech on the phone, we checked out the computer - no errors, everything seemed fine.

So, I'm now thinking that it never crashed or had a problem before, so the MacBook Pro is not likely to be the cause, Lightroom has been working fine all this time, so maybe it's also OK, in which case the only thing I've done that is "different" was to install the ON1 programs and plug-ins.

Anyone else have this happen? Any suggestions?

(I can remove the ON1 software, but I'd like to figure out what the problem is, so it can be corrected. I'm out of the country right now - maybe when I return to the USA Apple will suggest a way to get information from the problem, if/when it happens again, that will identify the source of the problem.)

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
You could try toggling the Preferences > Performance > Use Graphics Processor switch and see if that helps. I did have one other person mention something about oddities after installing OnOne, but I can't find the conversation anywhere.

Mike Myers

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
You could try toggling the Preferences > Performance > Use Graphics Processor switch and see if that helps. I did have one other person mention something about oddities after installing OnOne, but I can't find the conversation anywhere.
Before I actually do that, can you tell me what effect this will have on my MacBook Pro? Will it have any effect on the other programs on my computer?

Every time until now I've had the "cursor" freeze during image cropping, as the first sign anything is wrong. If I deliberately use Lightroom until this happens, but stop before the computer freezes, is there any way to identify what is wrong at that moment in time, before closing and re-starting Lightroom?

Just for reference, what is the easiest way to turn off the two plug-ins I now have for Lightroom? Maybe that is the first thing I should do, and see if it helps. I can't see how the ON1 software could in any way affect Lightroom, other than through those plug-ins.

Mike Myers

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Added later. Going into Preferences > Performance > Use Graphics Processor, and clicking to get more information, I got to here:

Adobe Lightroom GPU Troubleshooting and FAQ

When I get home, this seems like a reasonable test to try out. It's strange though that I never had any issues until I installed the ON1 software.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Before I actually do that, can you tell me what effect this will have on my MacBook Pro? Will it have any effect on the other programs on my computer?
None. It's just a setting in Lightroom, that tells Lightroom to use the GPU for certain actions in the Develop module. Because you have a problem when switching to that module, this could be the cause. Turning this feature off has no effect on MacOS X or on other applications, only on Lightroom.

PCee

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
If you wish to turn off the lightroom plug ins to see if this is the problem, just go to file > plug in manager> disable the chosen plug in. See what happens, it can be enabled again in the same way.

Mike Myers

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Thanks. I have now turned off "ON1 Effects 10" and "ON1 Photo RAW 2017". Left "ON1 Resize 2017" in place for now, as it has been there for a lot longer, with no apparent problems.

I'll post back here if I get any useful results, one way or another.

Mike Myers

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Just to update this, both plug-ins have been turned off since May 28th, and I've been using Lightroom and crop mode. It's now June 2, and no issues yet. In a few days, I'll turn on ONLY the pre-set for "Effects", and see if that starts the problems again.