• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Lightroom installation to a new partition of my Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

swteven

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Other (please note in thread)
I have been using Lightroom 5.7.1 on a Mac desktop that runs Lion, an older but capable Mac OS. Not upgrading the OS has allowed me to run Photoshop CS4 which is adequate for most of my editing.

Recently I created a new partition on the Mac and installed Sierra (may update this). I would like to install Lightroom on the Sierra partition. Since I access my files from the hard drive this should work fine… I think…?

Does anyone know if I can download and install Lightroom 5.7.1 ? I have Lightroom 3 on a disk but that version is a bit old and I would have to upgrade. I really prefer perpetual software.

Thanks, Scott

Thanks Jim. Version 5.7.1 is certainly adequate and version 6 seems to have some complaints from looking at the forum posts.

On a new computer (or new partition) will I still need a serial number for installation?

Yes.

Version 5.7.1 is certainly adequate and version 6 seems to have some complaints from looking at the forum posts.
Many of the more recent complaints about LR6 are related to the non-functioning of the Map module (you will have the same problem with LR5.7.1) and the no-longer functioning of the face recognition component (which LR5.7.1 never had).

After I install lightroom on my new computer (or new partition) will I just access the primary catalog file (located on the original partition) ?

My understanding is that all the images, metadata and edits will be available (via the primary catalog file) and that my edits will be current regardless of which partition I am working from?

It depends.
Where are the images stored? On the old partition or on a separate drive?
If you are leaving the catalog on the old partition, will you have read/write permissions to the old partition from the new partition?

Good question. Yes the catalog file is on the old partition. Can I choose that in catalog preferences?

Yes, if LR5 has read/write permissions to the catalog on the old partition when it is running on the new partition.

Jim - After downloading vs5 from the website you provided I installed LR on my new partition. When I try to launch LR I get this error. Tried restarting my computer several times with the same result.

I did not see any LR read/write permissions in preferences.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-11-17 at 3.14.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-17 at 3.14.18 PM.png
    27.3 KB · Views: 88
Maybe I could install Lightroom 3 that I have on a disk and then upgrade from there ?

Scott, I think of how much time you have wasted trying to manage a professional photography business with obsolete computers and software. Certainly your time has a monetary value that exceeds the cost of a new computer and an annual Adobe subscription.
As a commercial photographer, the cost of computer hardware and software is a a deductible tax expense.
Once I tried to sell my expertise as a lecturer and photography instructor. That first year I had $100 in revenue and was able to write off a lens or two and a standalone copy of Lightroom (v5?).
My advice: Put the effort into marketing your photographs instead of wasting that effort continuing to try to limp along with obsolete software and hardware.

Hey Clee, good to here from you and you do have a point.
Call me stubborn but I would still like to resolve the issue with my installation right now.

...but I would still like to resolve the issue with my installation right now.
I don't know who can help with this. That error is not something I can recall seeing back in the LR5 days, so I have no idea what's causing it. Adobe won't be any help, they'll just tell you that LR5 is no longer supported and advise you to upgrade.

At what point did that error occur, i.e. immediately on launch or at some later point? If it was at launch, how exactly did you launch it, i.e. clicking on a dock icon, using the Launchpad, opening the app via the Applications folder, or by double-clicking on an existing catalog? Were you prompted to enter the serial number?

The installation was successful. The error occured when l opened the app via the Applications folder. I was never prompted to enter the serial number.

After doing some research I concluded that this was not the correct installer file, at least for my system. The installer filename is Lightroom_5_CCM_LS11.dmg and I believe this installs a Creative Cloud version of Lightroom.

After more research I discovered there was a different version 5 installer that had to be accessed via the wayback machine:
https://web.archive.org/web/2015032...htroom/mac/5.x/Lightroom_5_LS11_mac_5_7_1.dmg
If you click on that link it will automatically start the download. Note the different filename for this installer:
Lightroom_5_LS11_mac_5_7_1.dmg

This version installed successfully on my new partition. I was prompted for my serial number for Lightroom 5.7.1 that I purchased 5-6 years ago from Adobe (I purchased my original Lightroom license as version 3 on a CD-ROM and I was also prompted for that serial number). Both are perpetual versions of the software so I can run them without subscription fees.

I have not yet tried to access my catalog file from my old partition. Before doing that I will make a copy of the catalog file in case anything bad happens!

Scott

Well done for sorting that out. Yes, it looks as though there's an omission on the ProDesignTools web-site, apparently there should be two different links for LR5, one for the CC version and the other for the perpetual license version.

I am pleased to report that LR 5.7.1 is now running fine on the new partition of my Mac (Sierra). I also have LR 5.7.1 on my old partition (Lion). Both access the same LR catalog file on my old partition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back