• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom 6 questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom 6 - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. When you upgrade to subscription, there's also a Lightroom Classic version available.

Lightroom import options not available

Status
Not open for further replies.

renouj21

Hi all,
I've upgraded to version 3, and just discovered that when I import, rather than importing files in their current location (as I used to in LR2), LR is copying them into a LR folder. So I looked at the options to change this, and it's supposed to come under File handling on the import page, but no options are offered (other than "don't import suspected duplicates). Another suggestion was in LR preferences, to use the "import" options, but again, there are no import options in my preferences (just general, presets, external editing, file handling, interface). Along the top of the import page are 4 options: copy as DNG, copy, move and add. The last two are greyed out and can't be selected. But in any case I don't want any of these options: I want to import files in their current location. How can I change the way files are imported into LR?
Thanks
J

Last edited:
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
It's the Add option that you're looking for. That does the same as the old import at current location option. If they're unavailable, it's because they're on a drive that you can't leave the photos on, such as a memory card.

renouj21

OK, I think I get it. I'm trying to import from a folder on a hard drive just after using Image Capture to import the images, but the memory card is still attached, and whilst that's the case, it automatically selects the memory card as the source.
So now I see I can choose a source which offers me the "add" option. However, this is still not a great option, because I have to navigate all the way through my folder structure to the appropriate folder. It used to be much simpler in LR2.
J

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Glad you got it sorted....but I don't think I agree that it is easier to navigate to a specific hard drive folder using LR2. Have just refreshed my memory again, and I find the file browser in the LR3 import panel is much slicker than in LR2, requiring only single clicks to expand the folder hierarchies rather than the double-clicks under LR2.

Of course, you could save yourself all that hassle by simply importing directly from the memory card into LR3....as you have already noted LR will default to the memory card when it is present, so absolutely no navigation needed at all.

b_gossweiler

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
It used to be much simpler in LR2.J
The change in Import Dialog between LR2 and LR3 was one of the much discussed topics when LR3 came out. Some love the new dialog, some hate it, I think you just have to get used to it. I am also still not 100% convinced about the new interface, but have gotten around to work with it OK.

Beat

b_gossweiler

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
No problem in accessing the existing folder structure in the import dialog. Just navigate to the proper location using the tree on the left side, it's similar to the finder interface.

Beat

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Yes, but I want my own folder structure, not LR's, because I want to access my files from other programmes. And also because I have my own folder structure, developed over many years, before LR even existed.
Lightroom does not force you to use a specific folder structure, it is quite accommodating should you want to maintain a structure developed before Lightroom existed. So yes, you can import directly from memory card using LR3 into your own folder structure. I used to do this myself, until I realised I was expending pointless time and effort in doing that....now I simply use one of the canned date-based folder schemes. The folder name is completely immaterial to me now, as I use Lightrooms own tools for organising and searching.

Any effort that I expend in terms of folder-naming schemes is restricted to exported derivatives, though even here the availability of LR3's Publish Services has now reduced this effort significantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.