Lightroom iCloud Photostream integration

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarathonMax

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
I have not seen this question asked before on this forum and I have only pieces being discussed elsewhere, so here goes.

I would love to know if some sort of LR plug-in exist that would allow integration with Apple iCloud Photostream.

I have heard of PhotoStream2Folder as opne solution. Is it the only one? And no, Carousel is not the answer that I am klooking for.

Many thanks

Max

I have not seen this question asked before on this forum and I have only pieces being discussed elsewhere, so here goes.

I would love to know if some sort of LR plug-in exist that would allow integration with Apple iCloud Photostream.

I have heard of PhotoStream2Folder as opne solution. Is it the only one? And no, Carousel is not the answer that I am klooking for.

Many thanks

Max
There is no Plug-in for the Apple Photostream. I've exchanged emails with Laurent Crivello the author of PhotoStream2Folder. PhotoStream2Folder only works one way -- getting photos into LR

And the
PhotoStream2Folder App works fine along with the LR's Auto Import functionality. Apple, not being a company that plays well with others, is not very forthcoming and so far has not shared exactly how they manage the photostream on OSX. If Laurent Crivello can reverse engineer a solution, then perhaps there will be an App that can be incorporated into a HD Publish Service to seamlessly integrate the iCloud Photostream with LR.

In the meantime, the only possibility that I can think of to upload LR images to Photostream might involve creating a HD Publish service and some scripting that might wake iPhoto to the new images just like it does when you insert a camera card.

Ironically, the iCloud Photostream in Windows is very transparent and simple to integrate in to a LR workflow. It was this feature that finally convinced me that I was ready to migrate to a Mac.

Last edited:
If you're just looking for Photo Stream to Lightroom (one-way) integration, you can use Automator in OSX...

Instructions from: https://plus.google.com/101906353514641308377/posts/e1K1iZZFVbD
Step 1: Create an Automator folder action to copy all files added to your hidden Photo Stream folder to a folder elsewhere on your computer.

Start in Automator by creating a 'Folder Action' workflow. Click 'Choose folder', then press SHIFT-COMMAND-PERIOD while the Automator folder picker is open so that you can browse hidden folders. Choose the iCloud Photo Stream folder here: {USERNAME}/Library/Application Support/iLifeAssetManagement/assets/sub

Add a 'Get Folder Contents' action to your workflow, being sure to check the 'Repeat for each subfolder found' option.

Add a 'Copy Finder Items' action to your workflow, selecting a folder where you'd like Lightroom to import from. Something like "/Pictures/Lightroom Import" might be a good idea.

Save your workflow. You've just activated an Automator action that copies new Photo Stream images to a folder of your choosing.

Step 2: Tell Lightroom to automatically import images from this folder. In the Lightroom menu go to: File -> Auto Import -> Auto Import Settings... This will move the files out of the folder you just created and into Lightroom, leaving the hidden photostream directory un-modified so that we don't confuse iCloud or prevent you from viewing your Photo Stream on other iOS devices.

Step 3: There is no step 3. Just go out and take some awesome photos. Next time you launch Lightroom, they'll be there, and your images will continue to be imported on the fly when Lightroom is open.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back