• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Lightroom has encountered problems reading this file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColMac9090

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I have just come across two files with Black Exclamation marks and the prompt as above.

Both files have been in my catalog for years, and I have no recollection of doing anything to or with them recently, although I MAY have updated keywords or changed location on the disk globally which caused a change.

Anyway both files are recoverable from old back-ups, so I have no problems there. What I am wondering is if there is any way to identify if there are any other such files. Is there a search/filter which would identify them. I've tried searching the forum, but not found anything yet.

Thanks

In general, I haven't seen any method for for filtering for the black exclamation marks. That would be a valuable feature.

For DNGs, you can do Library > Validate DNG Files, which does some kind of validity check (I don't know the technical details). I don't use DNG very much, but when I run it on my cataloged DNGs, I get a not-very-helpful result:

1655397654300.png

That's 345 out of a total of 371 DNGs that are "not validated". Some of these were raws converted to DNG inside LR, some were created by LR Mobile on an iPhone. I have no idea what this all means.

There's also the Validator plugin, a free plugin that appears no longer supported (though I know of at least one person still using it). But you have to first run it over your files to record a hash for each file, and then rerun it periodically to compare the current hashes with the original. People have requested for years that LR do that automatically.

Thanks for the feedback, I managed to hit 124 Not Validated DNG's out of just over 10,000.

Think I'll scan my database by screen full. The Black Exclamation marks are quite prominent and therefore reasonably visible - so I'll just sit down and do a manual check. Not a nice task, but better than ignoring it. I find it hard to believe that I found the only 2 corrupted files by chance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back