Lightroom has been unusable & unpredictable for months (possible catalogue corruption?)

YOUNOTCOOKING

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic 8
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Classic CC 8.1
Operating System
Windows 10
At the current moment, lightroom opens but I can't do anything past that. It crashes when I try to optimise my catalogue. Before that, my library didn't load properly unless I optimised my catalogue every time I open the program - I just saw a few previews and thousands of grey boxes that never loaded their preview. Before that it was completely unusable for months, with a whole collection of different problems every time I tried to open it.

Problems such as;

Crushingly slow performance
No previews/images loading
Stalling and crashing (with no crash report)
Crashes on backup (I haven't been able to backup in months)
Lightroom refuses to open
Crashes on import.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled twice. The first reinstall I had Lightroom working well for a day, then it began to revert back to having problems. The second reinstall did nothing to improve performance or stability.

Please, can anyone give me any advice on what to do? It took me 3 times as long to edit on jobs before I stopped taking clients altogether because of all this crap and I don't feel comfortable taking on any future jobs, not to mention it utterly killing my enthusiasm for a hobby that I love.

I'm running on a pretty decent (yet slightly dated) desktop PC. i7 2700k, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X, Windows 10. I have Lightroom installed on a 250GB SSD and my library on a 3TB HDD.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
I would first determine if the problem is caused by the application itself or by a corruption in the catalog.
Create a new empty catalog, import photos in it and work several days with it. If no problem appear, then your catalog is more likely corrupeted. If problems still occur with this new catalog, then something is wrong with your LR installation and your catalog might not be corrupted.

clee01l

Staff member
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
It is important that Lightroom have sufficient free space on your primary drive (C:\) If you have less that 100GB of free space, the Windows does not have sufficient working storage to operate efficiently. That 250GB SSD may be full and you are out of working storage. With only 8GB of RAM Lightroom will always perform sluggish. You need at ,east 16GB . With only 8GB of RAM, LR will spend lots of time accessing the swapfile and if your working storage is limited, then Windows may be unable to create and maintain a swapfile.

The other suggestion would be to run Lightroom in Safe mode with no other apps conflicting. Anti-malware and antivirus apps can be interfering with LRs access to the files it needs.

tspear

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
Also check the usual suspects. Corrupted previews and preferences.

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

PhilBurton

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic 8
Also check the usual suspects. Corrupted previews and preferences.

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk
And also check if other "large" applications are working OK or not. For example, any MS Office application like Word or Excel, or Photoshop.

If you are still having problems, do a search on "Repair Windows install." A great resource for Windows issues is General Support - Windows 10 Forums.

Phil Burton