• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Lightroom forced update to catalog, now 3 years are missing

jpm5150

Lightroom Version
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Hey folks,
I'm a bit of a novice to how LR catalogs stuff, but, today, LR forced me to Upgrade my catalog...upon doing so, the most recent photo is 3 years old. Not sure why they want to give me a panic attack, but, thanks LR. So, the new catalog is named "Catalog 4". I tried finding the last catalog "Catalog 3-2" and open it as it was last modified yesterday, however, the same thing happens when I open it. I could really use some help to:
a) Get things back to where they were before this happened.
b) Any advice to know if this is something I am doing wrong to warrant ~100k photos to not show up when they force a catalog update.

Thanks, Jeff

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Hi jpm5150, welcome to the forum!

If you didn't install a Lightroom update yesterday, then most likely Lightroom's just found the wrong catalog. Search your computer for *.lrcat files and look for the last modified dates. Often this happens when someone's been working on a catalog hidden in a backup folder or on an external drive that's changed drive letter. It's just a case of finding the right catalog, don't worry.