• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • The May 2019 Lightroom updates are now available. There's a brand new slider called Texture, available across the whole family of apps. Lightroom Classic includes a new tool called Flat Field Correction. Lightroom (cloud-based service) has lots of big improvements including cloud trash, invitation-only web galleries, improved chromatic aberration removal and more. The Missing FAQ and Edit Like a Pro eBooks are already updated for the changes. You'll also notice the CC's have disappeared off the end of the names, so we've updated the forum names to match.

Lightroom for multiple people to access?

blsilva

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
I have an issue, and I feel like I keep hitting walls in google searches. I work as a graphic designer/photographer for a company and we are in desperate need of a software that allows us to tag images (keywords) for easy searching. We know lightroom is probably the best option for this. Here is our roadblock: there are 3 of us on my team who would need to have access to the photos and the ability to search - on their own work computers. we all use macs, obviously. Ideally, we'd like to pawn off the "tagging/adding keywords" to the girls in HR - since they know peoples names in the company - which means we'd love for them to have access...but they are on PCs. This is a want, not a must have. At a minimum, we need to know if there's a way to have the same lightroom accessible by 3 people. Is this doable? If not, can anyone suggest a different software?

Thank you so much in advance - any advice is helpful!!

clee01l

Staff member
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic 8
Welcome to the forum. Lightroom is by design a simple single user database. That is one user at a time. The reason for this is there is no need for referential integrity when there is only one user. To build in the necessary user security and referential integrity (so that no two users can be updating the same record at the same time, you need a traditional client server database, running industrial strength data base servers software like Oracle or SQLServer. The cost of maintaining this is beyond the capability of single users and small graphics shops. When LR was first conceived, it was decided that the market was going to be the single user and Adobe did not apply resources to develop a client server model for LR. If they had, it would have cost more than the initial $300USD license.

All of the graphic applications that I have knowledge of are single user and none are built on the client server database model.

As stated earlier, the LR catalog is a simple single user database to be used by one person at a time. You can store the master original images on a network fileserver, but the catalog (database file) needs to be accessed through a locally attached drive You can store this catalog on a portable EHD and share that drive with each user having a LR license. There are other ways to store the catalog file in the cloud and one user at a time can work on the local copy of that file.

Though this is probably not the answer that you wanted, it is the answer that might help you look for other creative solutions. You can break up your master catalog into smaller sub catalogs that individual users can use Once the users have completed their task, you can merge these sub catalogs back into a master catalog.

blsilva

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Thank you so much. We feared this would be the answer.

happycranker

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic 8
There is multi user licence for Phase one Capture One Pro, which I have tried in the past has some great features and a database functionality similar to LR.

Jack Henry

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
What about Chronosyncing three catalog files across the three Macs with all catalogs pointing to the same images stored centrally?