• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom 6 questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom 6 - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. When you upgrade to subscription, there's also a Lightroom Classic version available.
  • It's Lightroom update time again! Color Grading and improved zoom across the whole Lightroom family, plus graphical watermarks for the cloud-based Lightroom apps, as well as the usual new cameras, lens profiles and bug fixes. See this blog post for Lightroom Classic and this blog post for the Lightroom Cloud Ecosystem changes.

Lightroom Fails to open with....

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatrickC

....message:
Database "H:\Lightroom\LR2Catalogue\LR2Catalogue.lrcat": column absolutePath is not unique
Statement: INSERT INTO AgLibraryRootFolder( id_local, id_global, absolutePath, name, relativePathFromCatalog ) VALUES( ?, ?, ?, ?, ? );
in a dialogue box. Click once, it reappears; click again and LR opens but with no images.

I'm in the process of upgrading my system, the first step being to rationalise my storage with a new 1.5 Tb Seagate FreeAgent XTreme external drive. I copied all of our digital originated images to the new drive, disconnected the old ones and re-connected the folders to the new ones on the XTreme. This proceeded normally.

I then attempted to import the images from our latest expedition, from a 2.5" drive and the LR-exported catalog generated from the Mac laptop. I copied the image pixel files to the new drive, then imported the catalog. It failed to import part way through with the helpful message "An unknown error occurred".

When I tried to open LR again, I got the message above. I tried 're-launch and optimise', which appeared to proceed normally, but the same message appeared. I tried backing up the catalog in the hope that the backup would pick up and fix whatever corruption had happened; again, it proceeded normally but with the same result.

I have now imported the old catalog to a new catalog, which seems to have worked OK (there are about 4'k images in the catalog, so it took a while). I am importing the new images from the expedition, having for the moment de-selected one folder which has the same name as one that already exists in the target folder, just in case this is what's causing the problem. This is about 1/3 through and it's late so I'm off to bed now.

But if anyone knows what is the cause of this cryptic error message I'd be very interested to hear.

Edit:

This strategy worked and I now have my whole catalogue working with my new drive. I'm still curious about the error though.

Patrick Cunningham

F

fware

This is a DB error (SQL) message.

As it seems LR as tried to insert a value into the column "absolutePath" that is already there. As it seems "absolutePath" can only be there once, if you have two it is an error.

Normally LR should see that the path exists and should not add it again. Instead you have to use "update folder" from the folder list right klick menue..

To fix that I fear you have to use sqlite DB tools and some SQL to get the entry removed. BUT this is "open heart surgery" on the Lightromm DB. Always do it on a copy of the .lrcat file an test if it has worked or do not do it at all.

This is a matter for Adobe, as my knowledge of the DB structure is only based on the "select ..." paly I had with a DB file and sqlite tools.

F

fware

H Brad,

why is the answer privat ?
It may be usefull for others too.

PatrickC

fware:

The answer was in fact not an answer, just an offer to forward the info to Adobe.

The answer is in the original post; the steps I took did solve the problem, albeit probably in a crude way. No doubt it could have been solved more elegantly (and more quickly) by someone with more SQL experience than I. But the self-help steps I took did the job with relatively little pain. It's reassuring that LR is robust enough to be able to reconstruct a damaged database in this straightforward way, without losing data.

Patrick Cunningham

Status
Not open for further replies.