• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Lightroom Export Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

backroadbob

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
Hi all,
I've search this forum and googled the question without much luck.
Can you export from Lightroom without a file extension, such as jpeg? I'm designing a website and I do not need a file extension after my caption / title.
Thanks,
Bob

You can remove the extension by renaming the exported files at the end of the export using a post-process action to invoke a script.

1. Save the file attached here to the file "stripextension.sh" and put it someplace convenient, e.g. in your Documents or Pictures folder.

2. Start Terminal, and do this command:

chmod +x ~/Documents/stripextension.sh

(Use the actual path you saved the file to.)

3. In the Export settings, configure a Post-Processing action:
1593312121368.png

Uh, the forum didn't like me attaching a script. So use the TextEdit app to copy and paste these lines into the file "stripextension.sh":

Code:
#!/bin/bash
for f in "$@"; do
    mv "$f" "${f%.*}"
    done

Can you export from Lightroom without a file extension, such as jpeg? I'm designing a website and I do not need a file extension after my caption / title.

All files should have a file extension, including those put on the web. Change the web site design.

Instead of using the file name in the title field, create descriptive titles in LR metadata. This title metaddata should be read and used by the web site when reading the image file. Many apps use the filename extension to determine file type Id it common for website server apps to read the Title field for the title and if empty, use the file name as a substitute. Could this be what is happening to you on your website?

I don't understand your problem. LR Titles and Captions don't have extensions unless you deliberately put them there. Perhaps the Export preset or plugin you are using to create the files from LRc is set to use "file name" rather than "base file name" or something similar depending on specific plugin as the Title or Caption.

If the problem is that your website design shows the file name under the image, then perhaps you should have it show the Title or Caption metadata field instead or have the web page script strip everything past the last period in the file name when it displays it.

All good thoughts and ideas and thanks. Perhaps three screenshots will help.
1. When I export, LR under "File Naming" does not give me the option for No file extension, just upper and lower case.
2. The images are exported into a Website folder and then either dragged or imported in the Asset folder of the website.
3. The Asset folder shows all the images with a .jpeg attache, which it should. Then I have to click each image which brings it into the "Image Capture" where I have to delete the .jpeg.

As you can see from the 2nd screen shot, all my titles have a .jpeg attached, which is how it should be. Of course , I can manually delete each extension one by one, but when I import more than a few dozen, it becomes a chore.

The website does not allow me to show the Title or Caption metadata field instead, nor does it allow me to have the web page script strip everything past the last period in the file name when it displays it. Also, I do not want all my File names to be my Title names.

"Instead of using the file name in the title field, create descriptive titles in LR metadata. This title metaddata should be read and used by the web site when reading the image file." Nope this does not happen either.

Thanks for all your help! I was hoping that LR could export without an extension, but this may not be possible.

Thanks,
Bob

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-28 at 4.36.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-28 at 4.36.24 PM.png
    358.3 KB · Views: 182
  • Screen Shot 2020-06-28 at 4.41.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-28 at 4.41.06 PM.png
    110.7 KB · Views: 144
  • Screen Shot 2020-06-28 at 5.04.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-28 at 5.04.02 PM.png
    139.7 KB · Views: 166
...The website does not allow me to show the Title or Caption metadata field instead, nor does it allow me to have the web page script strip everything past the last period in the file name when it displays it. Also, I do not want all my File names to be my Title names.

"Instead of using the file name in the title field, create descriptive titles in LR metadata. This title metaddata should be read and used by the web site when reading the image file." Nope this does not happen either.
In your third screen shot is a drop down button labeled {Choose}. What are your choices for Image Caption? I'm betting one of these is "Title" and another is "Caption". Both of which are available in the image file metadata header block. and can be assigned in LrC and exported along with "File Name". This is purpose of these fields in the EXIF of the file header.
If your Web App does not offer this flexibility in assigning a caption, then you need another Website App.

I've worked with many commercial Website tools and they all have this flexibility. I've only encountered website stupidity on some online dedicated photo websites (though I can't remember which ones). Even FaceBook and Flickr will read the Title and Captions fields and use those if present. Only if these fields are empty does Flickr default to File Name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back