• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

lightroom edits not showing in Finder

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverking448

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Classic 9.4
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
Lightroom edits to DNG and PSD files are not showing - are not being seen - in finder

Of course they aren't. Lightroom Classic is a non-destructive editor. All your edits are kept in the catalogue as a set of instructions that tell Lightroom how to modify your files when you export. The original files are never modified.

To have a file with your edits applied, you need to do an export.

Yes, if I export a DNG file to a folder in desktop I can view the JPEG and see the edits.

However, why do I not see the DNG with edits in the Mac OS Finder? And if I add these DNG files to an email the resulting JPEG does not show the edits

And yes, if I create a folder named Lightroom Exports and export the DNF or NEF to that folder I see the LR edits. I get it. Bad day. Brain not working.

However, why do I not see the DNG with edits in the Mac OS Finder? And if I add these DNG files to an email the resulting JPEG does not show the edits
Because, as Hal said, Lightroom does not edit the DNG. It just saves a list of adjustments into it's catalog or a sidecar file or attaches it to the DNG..... but the DNG or RAW file remains unedited. Further more the Lightroom adjustments can only be viewed in LR (or Adobe Camera RAW) so if you view the DNG in another file you will see....
1. The JPG preview, if the software can display it, or
2. The unedited DNG.

If you email the DNG to someone who doesn't have LR they will have no way to view the edits. You need to send then an exported TIFF or JPEG.

DNGs have a JPG preview inside them. I don't use DNG, but I'm surprised that Lightroom doesn't update that JPG Preview.

DNGs have a JPG preview inside them. I don't use DNG, but I'm surprised that Lightroom doesn't update that JPG Preview.
Lightroom only updates that preview if you tell it to do so. Menu 'Metadata - Update DNG Preview & Metadata'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back