• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Lightroom Downloader (upgrading cloud storage)

Status
Not open for further replies.

clbell

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
6.x
Lightroom Version Number
CC
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I want to upgrade from my current plans of Photography + 1TB cloud storage to a single photography plan with 2TB. I was told that I should make a backup. The issue is that the downloader doesn’t seem to be preserving my keywords. As it was downloading, I reimported one of the photos it downloaded back into Lightroom and the keywords were not there. I know you can export originals + settings but as I have over 70k photos, it seems like it’s going to try to store them all in one folder so that is too many files to put in a single folder and there will be name conflicts/renames as well. Any ideas? Will I lose everything in the storage upgrade process?

Who told you to make a backup? And did they explain why? My understanding is that if you are just changing an existing plan then it should be a seamless exercise, i.e. your existing content should remain unaffected by the change. As you have discovered, the Downloader is not a fit vehicle for such a backup. Exporting Original + Settings would work as a backup, it wouldn't matter if they were all in one folder if the intention would be to re-import them back into Lightroom after the plan was changed.....but that shouldn't be necessary.

Who told you to make a backup? And did they explain why? My understanding is that if you are just changing an existing plan then it should be a seamless exercise, i.e. your existing content should remain unaffected by the change. As you have discovered, the Downloader is not a fit vehicle for such a backup. Exporting Original + Settings would work as a backup, it wouldn't matter if they were all in one folder if the intention would be to re-import them back into Lightroom after the plan was changed.....but that shouldn't be necessary.

That was the online Adobe support rep that was going to set me up with the 2TB plan. I don’t know if it’s due to the fact that my software and storage plans are separate and the new plan is a single $30/month for software and storage. I’m hoping it’s just an extra precaution and it’ll be a seamless upgrade.

As for going the export originals + settings route, I’m in the process of doing that now. I forget that Windows nowadays can handle many more files in a folder than in the past but I’m splitting it up into 4 folders anyway.

Unfortunately, Lightroom has stalled about 90% of the way through exporting the first set of images after waiting hours. I’m not sure if I have to delete the local copies and start over or what.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back