• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Lightroom does not show photo that has been edited in Photoshop

Status
Not open for further replies.

phunter

Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version: 11.1 [ 202112022200-7fd1f998 ]
Operating System
  1. macOS 12 Monterey
Moving from Lightroom to Photoshop has always worked seamlessly for me. Recently I have found that after editing a photo in PS, it is moved back to my LL catalogue but LL does not display it. Any suggestions?

If you will edit a photo from LR into PS, then is this returning a special file and you have to update the folder to see it in LR. In PS I always save the file into PS format and also update the RAW file.

The edited derivative file by default is placed in the same folder as the original. If you are sorted by edited date, it will appear last in the folder. If you sort the folder by capture date. It will appear alongside the source image.

If you start to edit in PS from a Collection, it might not be returned to the collection . If you start from a Smart Collection it will be added to the Smart Collection ONLY if all of the criteria match.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The edited derivative file by default is placed in the same folder as the original. If you are sorted by edited date, it will appear last in the folder. If you sort the folder by capture date. It will appear alongside the source image.

If you start to edit in PS from a Collection, it might not be returned to the collection . If you start from a Smart Collection it will be added to the Smart Collection ONLY if all of the criteria match.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have noticed when I save in PS after doing my edits, it places the photo in LL in a folder that is outside the folder where its has come from - e.g. in LL, my folders are organised as My Pictures/Year/Day - so pictures that I took today are imported into My Pictures/2021/2021-12-27.
I the past when I edited a photo in PS from LL, it was always returned to the correct folder in LL(I have not changed any of my preferences or settings).
Since the last few days, it returns it a folder that keeps the same naming (YYYY-MM-DD) but is found on the same level as My Pictures (thus not under My Pictures/2021/2021-12-27.)
When I try and move the photo to the right folder, LL tells me that the photo already exists. (Indeed - viewing the folder in my Mac's directory via Finder, there is only one sub-directory under My Pictures/2021/2021-12-27 and I can see the photo)
The only way I can get the photo in its correct folder is to create a new folder under My Pictures/2021 and naming it 2021-12-27-1. Once I have moved it to this new folder, I can then move it to My Pictures/2021/2021-12-27 and I can then delete the 2 empty folders - 2021-12-27 "above" My Pictures and 2021-12-27-1 inside 2021.

I am quite mystified why this changed behaviour. Any insight is appreciated.

I am quite mystified why this changed behaviour. Any insight is appreciated.
I see no change in the expected behavior. I also let LrC automatically import into a date name folder scheme. I just used the Edit In function in Lightroom Classic on an image show on November 12 in a folder .../2021/11/17. In Photoshop a made some distinctive changes (I inverted the color) and saved the image. It immediately showed up along side my original NEF.

LrC is v11.1 and PS is v23.1.0. All on MacOS v12.0.1

it returns it a folder that keeps the same naming (YYYY-MM-DD) but is found on the same level as My Pictures (thus not under My Pictures/2021/2021-12-27.)

I believe you are experiencing the 'Capitalisation problem'. It will not be fixed by drag&drop of files in the Folders panel -it will keep recurring unless fixed with the correct procedure.

Jim Wilde answered similar questions as here-
https://community.adobe.com/t5/ligh...add-folder-structure-issue/m-p/9438690#M76343

And Johan Elzenga gave an explanatory answer to a similar post in the Adobe Community forums- Full quote of his reply follows below-
https://community.adobe.com/t5/ligh...n-importing-into-catalog/m-p/12617520#M257938

This is almost certainly a well-known problem, called the 'Capitalisation problem'.
Basically, what happens is that you have two different folders, one called ‘XXXX’ and the other one called ‘xxxx’. In other words, the names are the same, except for the capitalisation. Because MacOS and Windows are case-insensitive, your OS sees those two folders as one and the same folder and so it deals with this without you even being aware of it. You will only see one folder in the Mac Finder or Windows Explorer. But Lightroom is case-sensitive, so Lightroom does see two different folders.

Here's how to fix the problem. Let's assume that 'XXXX' is the folder name you see on the hard drive, and 'xxxx' is the (extra) folder you see in Lightroom:
1. Backup your catalog.
2. Create a folder directly on the root of your internal hard drive, call it whatever you want, say "Capitals Fix". Note: do this in Windows Explorer/Macintosh Finder, not in Lightroom.
3. Right-click on the “xxxx” folder in the Lightroom Folders Panel and select "Update Folder Location". In the file browser that then opens, browse to and select the "Capitals Fix" folder.
4. Don't be alarmed as the ‘xxxx’ folder will disappear from the Folders Panel, "Capitals Fix" will appear but all the sub-folders that were listed under ‘xxxx’ will now have "?" marks.
5. Now right-click on "Capitals Fix" in the Folders Panel, and again choose “Update Folder Location". This time browse to and select the “XXXX” folder. You may get a "Merge" dialog box, select "Merge" and everything should resolve itself.

I believe you are experiencing the 'Capitalisation problem'. It will not be fixed by drag&drop of files in the Folders panel -it will keep recurring unless fixed with the correct procedure.

Jim Wilde answered similar questions as here-
https://community.adobe.com/t5/ligh...add-folder-structure-issue/m-p/9438690#M76343

And Johan Elzenga gave an explanatory answer to a similar post in the Adobe Community forums- Full quote of his reply follows below-
https://community.adobe.com/t5/ligh...n-importing-into-catalog/m-p/12617520#M257938
Rob, to save you having to dig out some of our older posts on the "Capitalization Problem" for future encounters with the issue, Victoria (and/or Paul) has produced and included on their Blog a generic procedure for correcting this issue: https://www.lightroomqueen.com/capitalization-catalog-error/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back