• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Lightroom deleted thousands of photos and any edits I made in the month of April

Status
Not open for further replies.

blythesummers

Lightroom Version Number
v11
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Hi if anyone has any solutions that would be great. All original RAW files are luckily backed up on a hard drive, but I lost every single edit I made. None of the photos are even in the lightroom catalog. I have been using lightroom for years and never had this issue. Every thing from March is completely fine. It is just April, not even sure how this could happen. Multiple downloads are just completely missing. If anyone has any solution besides redownloading them into Lightroom and starting over I would appreciate it!

It sounds like you opened an earlier catalogue, but it's hard to tell from here. How do your backups look?

Just checked and it is my most recent catalogue that is missing the images. Currently downloading all my backup files. they are exactly as the original files were, but still missing all my edits.

Just checked and it is my most recent catalogue that is missing the images. Currently downloading all my backup files. they are exactly as the original files were, but still missing all my edits.
How did you check that? If Lightroom opens a catalog, it will change the modification date of that catalog, even if you don’t do anything but open and close it.

If you import backup files, they will indeed be imported without edits. That is because edits are saved in the catalog, not in the files.

File > Open Recent will list catalogues that you've opened. So open each in turn, until you find the one which records the edits.

As noted, Explorer's File Modified time is misleading for LR. It simply records when the catalogue was opened, not the most recent changes.

I set the LrC Catalog to save .XMP sidecar files. Whilst not perfect, most of your edits are saved in these files. So with a delete of an image file followed by a re-import your edits are (generally) restored from the sidecar file to the LrC Catalog (I think masks may be missing though). It's useful (and I back these up with my image files) and can get you out of a bind sometimes. I also save the Catalog every time LrC closes (checking it's Integrity) to another drive.

File > Open Recent will list catalogues that you've opened. So open each in turn, until you find the one which records the edits.

As noted, Explorer's File Modified time is misleading for LR. It simply records when the catalogue was opened, not the most recent changes.

Very good idea....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back