• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Lightroom crop incorrectly removed in Camera RAW

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrFixit

Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Hi,

For some specific editing tasks I have been working with both LR and PS using 'Edit In PS as a Smart Object'. This has the benefit of allowing me to further edit in Camera RAW whilst in PS if I need to, as it preserves the RAW file within PS with my LR edits. However, if I reset the Crop in Camera RAW and then return to PS, the Crop is not removed correctly. When opening the file directly in PS via File/Open the Crop can be removed correctly. Strange. Anyone seen this?

Hi,

For some specific editing tasks I have been working with both LR and PS using 'Edit In PS as a Smart Object'. This has the benefit of allowing me to further edit in Camera RAW whilst in PS if I need to, as it preserves the RAW file within PS with my LR edits. However, if I reset the Crop in Camera RAW and then return to PS, the Crop is not removed correctly. When opening the file directly in PS via File/Open the Crop can be removed correctly. Strange. Anyone seen this?
I am not sure if I am understanding the problem but you need to be aware when you send a file to PS for further editing the info for the edits done in Lightroom are communicated to PS / ACR plug-in.
However, if you do additional edits via ACR with the smart object those edits are not communicated to Lightroom Classic automatically.
When you complete your work in PS and save a tiff or PSD will be saved to disk and included in Lightroom Catalog.
The original work you did with the original file in Lightroom will not be changed.
Just a thought!

@DdeGannes,

Thanks for responding. However, the problem I have is that the incorrect crop shows up in PS after exiting Camera RAW, so that's before saving back to LR.

Yes. PS/ACR honours the LR crop on opening in PS as a Smart Object.. But if the crop is then modified/reset in ACR by editing the Smart Object, then once back in PS the crop is incorrect.

@prbimages,

Thanks for confirming I'm still sane! So it seems like this is a real bug.

The only work around I know is to open the file directly as a Smart Object in PS using File/Open. Slightly tedious and LR then needs to sync/import the edited file saved from PS.

On further investigation, I have found that after returning to PS with an incorrect crop, if you select 'Image / Reveal All' the crop is removed and the full image is displayed. This command doesn't do anything prior to editing in Camera RAW and removing the crop that was applied in LrC.

I'd class this as a workaround, as I would have liked PS to respect the crop being deleted in Camera Raw, or at least be able to delete the crop in the crop tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back