• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Lightroom creating new folders on new Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barbara1

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic 10.2
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
I just moved my photos/LR catalogue from my old to my new Mac desktop. After importing for the first time, LR created new folders for my photos. I was careful to choose the correct location on import. But LR created a new folder with the same name ("Trees and Leaves") and put in in a new Lightroom Catalog folder, rather than in my Pictures/Lightroom Catalog/Trees and Leaves folder. Any help appreciated. I don't know why is occurring on my new computer. I'm in LR Classic. Thanks for any help!

It sounds as though you might not have the right setup in the Import Dialog. Could you post a screenshot of the Destination Panel in the import dialog?

Thanks for your reply! I think this is the Import Dialog -- My secondary problem is having my current catalog inside so many folders.

Screen Shot 2021-04-24 at 7.10.57 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-24 at 7.14.12 PM.png

Thanks for your reply! I think this is the Import Dialog -- My secondary problem is having my current catalog inside so many folders.

View attachment 16486View attachment 16487
That's actually your Preferences dialog. Jim was referring to the portion of the Import dialog, which if the window that you use when you are importing/adding/moving images in LR - the Destination panel. This will show how the files are being handled in the import process.

--Ken

Thanks! Right away I can see a problem. The files in the Import Dialog - Destination Panel are old files that have been changed. They don't reflect the current files I'm using to organize my photos. Here is the Destination Panel.
Screen Shot 2021-04-25 at 9.25.31 AM.png

And here is the current way I'm organizing. (Screenshot of panel on the left in Lightroom).
Screen Shot 2021-04-25 at 9.29.25 AM.png

Actually, the destination panel does reflect the current folders. What you need to understand is that the Lightroom folder panel only shows those folders that contain images that Lightroom has catalogued, while the destination panel shows all folders, regardless of whether Lightroom has catalogued any images in those folders. So the explanation of the discrepancy that you see is that for example '2 4 2017 AMG Valentine Makers Market' is a folder that does really exist in that location, but it does not contain any images that Lightroom has catalogued. Of course I cannot tell you what these extra folders do contain and where they come from. Looks like they are left-overs from what you have done earlier?

Thank you! I viewed these "extra" folders in finder. They contained .AAE files which I no longer needed, so I've been able to clean up my Lightroom Catalog. But I continue to have the problem: when I import new photos, direct them to the appropriate folder (just as I did on my old Mac), Lightroom creates a new folder of the same name as the destination folder, in a new Parent folder called "Lightroom Catalog." I read somewhere about a capitalization problem - could this possibly be why this is happening? Here is a screen shot of what is happening.
Screen Shot 2021-04-25 at 5.27.41 PM.png

I read somewhere about a capitalization problem - could this possibly be why this is happening?
Yes, it is possible. Easiest way to be certain is to hover the cursor over the top "Lightroom Catalog" folder in the Folders Panel (as per your last screenshot), wait until the full path is displayed in a pop-up, then carefully note that path. Then repeat for the bottom "Lightroom Catalog" folder, and see if there are any differences, particularly in the capitalisation of certain letters. If I was a betting man I might wager that your username is different between the old and new Macs.

Thanks, Jim! I did as you suggested. When I hover curser over the top Lightroom Catalog the path is exactly the same except that my name in the path is in lower case letters in the top one and my first and last name are capitalized in the lower one. What can I do to rectify this?

Do I need to import the CapsFix folder? I created it on a USB drive but the drive (and the folder) are not showing up in the Lightroom folders panel as shown in the example in the article.

No, there's no need to import the CapsFix folder, it will automatically appear in the Folders Panel when you run the Update Folder Location command on the lower Lightroom Catalog folder.

When you've done that you then run the Update Folder Location command on the CapsFix folder, pointing it to the existing Lightroom Catalog folder in your Pictures folder.

Yes, it is possible. Easiest way to be certain is to hover the cursor over the top "Lightroom Catalog" folder in the Folders Panel (as per your last screenshot), wait until the full path is displayed in a pop-up, then carefully note that path. Then repeat for the bottom "Lightroom Catalog" folder, and see if there are any differences, particularly in the capitalisation of certain letters. If I was a betting man I might wager that your username is different between the old and new Macs.
Jim, thank you so much! I followed the instructions in the link you provided and it worked! I appreciate your patience and your time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back