• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Lightroom (cloudy): possible to copy Smart Previews to new computer to speed up fresh sync?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bibendum

Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Hi. Due to a technical problem I will get a new computer soon. As a fresh LR sync of all my 110k+ pics (with Smart Previews stored locally enabled) takes quite a while, I'd like to know if it is possible - and makes any sense - to copy the application data including the smart previews to the new computer. This way, the Smart Previews would not have to be re-created. I'm on Windows 10. Thanks!

There is nothing to copy to a new computer if you use Lightroom desktop. And no, copying the smart previews of another computer won’t help. Lightroom desktop downloads all it needs locally from the cloud. Just install the app, login and wait…

I know all that, thanks. My question only concerns the Smart Previews, which I like to keep on my hard drive. I was wondering if copying the corresponding folder (with about 110k+ pics after all) would cause LR not to re-create the Smart Previews again. I know I don't "need" this step, but I'd like to know if this would save some time.

It might work if you copy the entire local library. Provided the library is in the correct location on the new system, there's a good chance it will work. Why not try it and let us know how it goes?

I ended up letting everything sync from scratch again. Much easier, and with up-to-date hardware not much of a hassle, even with my 112k pics and local Smart Previews enabled.

It might work if you copy the entire local library. Provided the library is in the correct location on the new system, there's a good chance it will work. Why not try it and let us know how it goes?
I tried it previously, it did not work.
There are some unique aspects to the internal naming structure. Likely to help reduce conflicts.

Tim

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

Thanks for letting us know, Tim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back