• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Apple TV and Web? Then you'll love my new book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit Like a Pro!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • It's Lightroom update time again! Color Grading and improved zoom across the whole Lightroom family, plus graphical watermarks for the cloud-based Lightroom apps, as well as the usual new cameras, lens profiles and bug fixes. See this blog post for Lightroom Classic and this blog post for the Lightroom Cloud Ecosystem changes.

Lightroom Cloud is Stuck Syncing a File on MacBook

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version: 3.1 on MacBook; Lightroom Classic version: 9.1 [ 201911291132-64cf80b4 ] on MacBook Pro
Operating System
macOS 10.15 Catalina, iOS
I'm currently using Lightroom Classic on a MacBook Pro and Lightroom Cloud on a small MacBook and my mobile devices. I always try to import and do heavy-lift editing in Lightroom Classic on my MB Pro. I only sync a portion of my LR Classic photos to the cloud, mostly more recent photos and any photos I may be working on for one reason or another. I currently have just under 10,000 photos in All Photos that should be synced up. Recently Lightroom on my MacBook seems to be hung up with syncing; it's been "syncing 87 photos" for a couple of days. I'm not sure how to tell in LR Cloudy which photos are actually in the process of syncing. There are no sync errors listed in LR Classic; everything seems to be synced up. When I went out to the Adobe Cloud LR online there were three files listed with apparent errors; they all seemed to be virtual copies so I deleted them - the errors on the web disappeared. But Lightroom on my MacBook is still stuck syncing. I've done all the obvious fixes such as LR restarts and reboots. Is there some way of getting this resolved that's not something drastic, such as deleting all my photos from the cloud and starting from scratch? (I've done that before but would sure like to avoid doing it again).

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
In Cloudy, if you go to the filter icon at the top to show the filter bar, there's a pop-up to show the different syncing states. That might offer some clues.

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
In Cloudy, if you go to the filter icon at the top to show the filter bar, there's a pop-up to show the different syncing states. That might offer some clues.
Thanks, Victoria. There are no files in a "syncing" state; I come up with a black hole. The number of photos in LR Cloudy All Photos also matches what's on the web and what's in LR Classic on my main computer, so I'm not missing anything. Is there some file I can delete on my MacBook that would get rid of the syncing message?

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
@Victoria Bampton I contacted Adobe and they helped me resolve the problem. The issue was not in my Synced photographs; it was in the deleted files still residing in the cloud. I had over 10,000 of them in both places but the counts in the folders differed by 87. We deleted all the photos in the deleted folders in the Cloud and in Lightroom CC. This wasn't a problem since I still have the copies on my hard drive associated with Lightroom Classic. Thanks for your help.

I would keep much more in the Adobe Cloud if I could access full res photos on both computers including the one with Classic. Do you know if there are any plans by Adobe to make that an option? It would help them sell more storage!

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
I would keep much more in the Adobe Cloud if I could access full res photos on both computers including the one with Classic. Do you know if there are any plans by Adobe to make that an option? It would help them sell more storage!
Sure, you can do that today. If you upload a full-sized original image to any one of the Cloud apps, that image will remain in the Cloud at full resolution. It will also download into Classic - giving you access to the full-res photo wherever you are. As you point out, though, you will need a good amount of Cloud storage to make this work with a large number of images.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
You can also sync photos from Classic, then add them into the Cloud desktop app, and as long as everything's fully synced, it should be able to recognize these are full size of originals it already has.

They haven't done it by default because both the cloud and the Classic catalog want to be in charge of the originals and it has a tendency to cause arguments (aka sync issues!), so both my workaround and prbimages' one are considered not officially supported. As long as you don't mind being mediator between cloud and Classic, it kind of works though.

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
You can also sync photos from Classic, then add them into the Cloud desktop app, and as long as everything's fully synced, it should be able to recognize these are full size of originals it already has.

They haven't done it by default because both the cloud and the Classic catalog want to be in charge of the originals and it has a tendency to cause arguments (aka sync issues!), so both my workaround and prbimages' one are considered not officially supported. As long as you don't mind being mediator between cloud and Classic, it kind of works though.
Sure, you can do that today. If you upload a full-sized original image to any one of the Cloud apps, that image will remain in the Cloud at full resolution. It will also download into Classic - giving you access to the full-res photo wherever you are. As you point out, though, you will need a good amount of Cloud storage to make this work with a large number of images.
Intriguing! But to make sure I have a full res image in the cloud I would have to add it directly, correct? Not just by syncing Classic with LR Mobile? If I create enough sync issues for myself maybe I would get better at finding/resolving them for myself...

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
to make sure I have a full res image in the cloud I would have to add it directly, correct? Not just by syncing Classic with LR Mobile?
Correct. Either way, you import the originals into the Cloudy apps on one device or another.