• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Lightroom Classic vs Camera Raw Features

Status
Not open for further replies.

nkawoods

Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version 8.4.1
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
If I were to give up Lightroom Classic in favor of Lightroom CC plus Camera Raw - are there any editing features I would be giving up? Publishing services? Printing? Are Camera Raw's noise reduction features as good as LR Classic?

Last edited:
This blog has the current comparison of the two options:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom-cc-vs-classic-features/
Thanks Paul. I thought I have a pretty good idea of what I would lose by going from LR Classic to LR CC - there are some editing features (e.g., range mask) missing from CC that I wouldn't want to give up. I guess my question should have been - are things missing from LR CC that are still available in Camera Raw? But looking at the Classic vs CC comparison in the blog post it says CC doesn't allow you to interface with external editors. Does that include Camera Raw and Photoshop? I might have my answer (stick with Classic) based on that absent feature alone.

You can use Edit in from Cloud into Photoshop fine. But if you change from the Photography plan to the Cloud one you lose Photoshop...

You get the Cloud software included in the Photography Plan, I'd suggest fire up the Desktop version and look around.

You can use Edit in from Cloud into Photoshop fine. But if you change from the Photography plan to the Cloud one you lose Photoshop...

You get the Cloud software included in the Photography Plan, I'd suggest fire up the Desktop version and look around.
Thanks. I keep trying to find a way to keep all my photos in the cloud so I can move back and forth between two computers without losing the Classic features, having to work on files that aren't complete, and/or creating sync problems. I'll do some more poking around but every time I look into this I get squeamish.

Try reading the Cloud Sync chapter (21) in your Classic book - and consider syncing Collections from Classic to Cloud. Then you can edit in the Cloud interface and the edits sync back to Classic.

are things missing from LR CC that are still available in Camera Raw?
Range Mask, Local Adjustment Presets, Red Eye tool and the legacy Calibration sliders are the only things I think. The actual engine is exactly the same, so noise reduction etc. would be identical. There are just those few tools that don't have a user interface in the Cloudy apps yet.

But looking at the Classic vs CC comparison in the blog post it says CC doesn't allow you to interface with external editors. Does that include Camera Raw and Photoshop?
Lightroom Cloudy can send photos to Photoshop, but not directly to the Camera Raw interface.

In addition to Paul's suggestion, you could look at the Working with Multiple Machines section in the Classic book, around page 404. There's a few options there to be able to use Classic on both computers.

Thank you Victoria. I’ll review those chapters; I’ve read them but every time I go back I learn something new. At some point (I hope!) the right solution will become clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back