• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Lightroom Classic to Lightroom 5?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cruxrush

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom 5 /Lightroom Classic
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
  2. Other (please note in thread)
I'm thinking of buying a new iMac to be able to use Lightroom Classic, but would keep my 2008 iMac (Lion) with Lightroom 5. If I stopped the Lightroom Classic subscription, would I still be able to take photos developed in Lightroom Classic and open them and work on them in Lightroom 5 (with the older tools of course)? Common sense would say yes, but experience teaches that corporations don't always have the best interests of their customers at heart... Maybe I should ask: would I even be able to see the results of the edits with the advanced LR Classic tools back in LR5?

Nope. The catalogue isn't backward compatible. Conceivably, you could write XMP data to the files and import them into LR5.

Also, cancelling your subscription doesn't lock you out of Lightroom, merely out of the Develop and Map modules. You'll still be able to view your images and even use the Quick Develop in the Library module.

You won't be able to install or re-install it after they upgrade the Mac OS to Catalina. Installer is 32 bit. Same goes for LR6.

Hal, thanks for your reply. Informative and helpful. Zenon, thanks for your reply. Does "it" refer to LR5? Somebody said that subscribing had screwed up his LR6, made it unusable, so I was planning to keep the old iMac with LR5 completely separate and offline as a kind of insurance in case subscribing doesn't work out for me.

Sorry for late reply. No you can make LR6 work again but there are steps take and sometimes you need to call Adobe. There are instructions in the Blog section but I can't find them right now. I'll check again later.

You cannot backtrack and use the subscription version catalogue (now version 8.4) when going back to LR6 . You have to use the original LR6's catalogue. When installing a new version LR creates a new catalogue and in your friends case would have merged the LR6 catalogue into it. So if your friend did not delete anything there should be two catalogues - the old - LR6 and the new. Open the old LR6 catalogue when using LR6. Same goes with LR5 to 6 (or subscription) and back to LR5.

The reason I mentioned Catalina because when/if you update then you won't be able to install LR5 or LR6 or re-install them. This has nothing to do with the software. It has to do with installer which 32 bit for both. Catalina will be 64 bit. Soon new computers will come with it. Just giving you a heads up in case you come across this. So if you update to Catalina, you need to re-install LR5 for some reason you won't be able to.

Thanks. I'll try to give Catalina a miss, then, if/when I buy a new computer. One less thing to worry about. Patrick O'Brian in his historical novels says the Spanish had a saying they used as a farewell: "May no new thing arise". That strikes me as even more appropriate in the digital era...

Well I looked and did a few searches. I don't know the procedure to go back to a stand alone version. Perhaps one of the gurus can assist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back