• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Lightroom classic tiles ... blank ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NigelSawtell

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
The most recent ! I haven’t got lap top with me !
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
I have recently opened Lightroom Classic , only to be presented with a large number of blank tiles without any content. Opening older libraries produces the same fault .... ideas anyone ?

This suggests that your icc color profile has been corrupted. You can use the sRGB color profile as a default to verify this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are they all grey or just some?

There are some recent imports that are displaying full colour previews however the majority are showing as grey tiles. One of the admin’s suggested it might be a corrupt ICC file. However searching lightroom, failed to reveal where I might change this. I looked in Lightroom preferences , and whilst there are some references to S-RGB in that file, changing some/ any did not bring back my picture library. Also opening an alternative historic library , the same thing is happening. I have approx 250Gb of remaining space on my lap top, so don’t think this is the issue. THanks in advance for any help/ guidance

If some are visible in colour, that means it's not the graphics card or profile, but missing previews. If you view one of the grey photos in Develop, does it show there ok? If so, it's either a corrupted preview cache or the photos went offline/missing before the previews could be built.

There are some recent imports that are displaying full colour previews however the majority are showing as grey tiles. One of the admin’s suggested it might be a corrupt ICC file. However searching lightroom, failed to reveal where I might change this.
If you can see any previews, then it is not a corrupt icc profile. FWIW, the color profile is a system setting you change this in Windows Settings or MacOS Display preferences.
Victoria is on the right track. You can rebuild some or all of the missing previews.

Hi Victoria, Even in develop it shows as a grey tile. Some of the previews go back a number of years, and have been viewable since originally imported. So the previews have been in place for years. ? Only the most recent import displays correctly, and approx 1 or two imports from some years ago, almost random in nature. All off line files are grey,and most of those on my lap top . The only exceptions, are a folder from 2012 and the most recent import from my new camera a Nikon D6, Is it possible that Lightroom is only displaying pics from that camera file type/ incompatibility issue ?

Last edited:
Hi Victoria, Even in develop it shows as a grey tile. Some of the previews go back a number of years, and have been viewable since originally imported. So the previews have been in place for years. ? Only the most recent import displays correctly, and approx 1 or two imports from some years ago, almost random in nature. All off line files are grey,and most of those on my lap top . The only exceptions, are a folder from 2012 and the most recent import from my new camera a Nikon D6, Is it possible that Lightroom is only displaying pics from that camera file type/ incompatibility issue ?

Did you try or rebuild a preview from an image that is now gray? The previews folder contains the image previews and an index that helps Lightroom find the preview. If the index is corrupt (a suggestion of Victoria) then Lightroom can’t find and show the preview even if it still exists in the Previews folder.

Offline file that are missing previews will be gray. Lightroom can’t rebuild the preview if the original file is off line.

Even in Develop it shows as a grey tile... does it say that the photo is missing? A screenshot might offer some clues. Develop should be reading from the original file and bypassing the previews.

Hi Vic toria, it didn't say it was missing and there were none of the widgets in teh cormner of teh photos that indicated anything was wrong. However since posting originally, I have updated lightroom to the latest, and then opened an old catalog. It converted the files as it suggests it will for old style catalogues. I then saw al my previews on that catalog. then closed and opened a recent catalog and that was good as well. Confused definitely.
However on closing lightroom, I have previously been asked whether I want to make a back up. That screen is no longer present.?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back