• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Lightroom Classic Slideshow Corrupt After Updating to v11.4 on Windows 10 & 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdRobinson

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Classic v11.4
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Heads up on a problem I've run into after updating to v11.4 (originally posted on Adobe Forum)

I’ve been using the slideshow module almost daily however immediately after updating to v11.4 “Export Video” freezes Lightroom. I rolled back to v11.3 however the problem still exist. I’ve also opened the catalogue on a different computer with different OS (Win 10 vs Win 11) with the same result of the program freezing. So the problem is in the catalogue. I have weekly backups which means I will loose recent activity. Before I do that is there a preference file or some other file that controls the slideshow that I can replace or rebuild? Thanks

I did not find a solution except to rollback to v11.3 and restore the catalogue from a backup. You can see the entire thread at:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/ligh...1-4-on-windows-10-amp-11/m-p/13009570#M278468

Hi Ed. I've just read through your other forum thread. It would interesting to know whether the issue could still be reproduced using 11.4 and (a copy of!!!) the backup catalog. If it can, Adobe would want both copies of the catalog to compare (before opening in 11.4 and after). Unless Adobe can figure out how to reproduce the error, the chances of it being considered a fixable bug is slim, so it may not magically go away with the next update.

Followup:

At the suggestion of Victoria , after backing up the catalogue through Lightroom and manually, I again updated to v11.4.

Before I did the update I also created a slideshow and successfully exported it to video. After the update I attempted to export the same slideshow to video. The initial result was the “preparation” froze, I believe during preview generation. However this time the entire Lightroom program did not freeze, only the slideshow. I was able to navigate around the program and close Lightroom normally.

I reopened LR and again attempted to export the slideshow to video with the same result. The pop-up dialogue from the progress bar(s) showed all the previews had been generated. I manually “X” out of the preview procedure and the video build began, and completed successfully. I reproduced this behavior on a different computer using the same library files using LR v11.31

I don’t have much confidence but it’s kind of working using v11.4. I’ll have to play with it a bit more and decide if I need to roll back again.

One more test for you Ed… go to preferences > performance and set what GPU is set to be used for please?

GPU Prefrences are on Auto
Computer CPU is Xeon E-2186M with Intel® UHD Graphics P630
and Nvidia Quadro P5200 w/16GB ram

Underneath, does it say it’s using basic or full acceleration or…?

Great, just as an experiment, try switching it to Custom and only enable the first 2 options. Then just see if that makes any difference to your slideshow export. It might not, but it was one of the main changes in 11.4 so it’s worth ruling out.

Victoria, thank you for your continued interest and support.

At your request I selected “custom” GPU control and ran two tests with display and image processing selected for both and export selected on just one test. Both tests created the same result. Two progress bars came up and the bottom bar (create previews) progressed quickly to the end and stopped (froze.) Once I “X” out of this bar the video was created successfully.

I also did the same test on this library file with a second networked desktop computer with different hardware (CPU & Graphics board,) different LR version (v11.31) and different OS, Windows 11, with the same result. This suggest v11.4 changed something in the library file.

I thought back and realize I have had a similar problem occasionally in the past. The slideshow would freeze at the beginning and I would close LR and reopen it and then the slideshow creation would run through without a problem. Before v11.4 the problem was occasional, now it is every time and rebooting LR does not correct it.

Interesting, I think that's worth reporting using the Bug Report/Feature Request link on the menubar.

Final Update

My long delay in responding is due to a plethora of issues and continually monitoring the system.
The final outcome appears to be there was an unknown problem with my computer and the heavy use of system resources creating a LR slideshow finally crashed my computer. Windows wouldn’t load, fixed by replacing a previous system state. I uninstalled and reinstalled LR twice. First uninstall I saved personal preferences and after reinstalling LR the program wouldn’t start. Uninstalled again and did not save personal preferences. The second reinstall I decided (shoot for the moon) to install v11.4. After the install the program did start, however crashed when I opened the current library. A saved version of the library file did successfully open.

Unfortunately there is not much to learn from my ordeal. It appears the problems are isolated to my computer not being able to handle the heavy load LR slideshow threw at it. Fortunately whatever was wrong has been corrected and LR v11.4 seems to be operating normally now.

Aloha, Ed Robinson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back