• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Lightroom classic search function vs. free, local Samsung android gallery search

Status
Not open for further replies.

BJB

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Greetings. I am a big LR Queen fan and also LR Classic...have used since inception. And recommend both to people that ask my opinion.

However I am disappointed at the huge image search feature gap between the AI driven Samsung Gallery android app and LR Classic. They have continued to improve and now with its most recent release it is incredible. Many are aware of Google Photos server-based search of photos in the Google cloud. I am not talking about that. And I know the LR cloud version has better search capabilities as it has the same benefits Google photo has (the images are in their cloud and they can use their servers for search). That is apples and oranges. We take this for granted for images we take with our camera phone that are backed up in the cloud.

But I am talking about a phone CPU-based local search of internal memory and a microSD card that contains most of my photo library as JPEGs. I export my library from LRC as JPEGs and save on a large microSD in my phone. It actually only takes up a small percent of space but is 10's of thousands of images.

I know LRC has a rudimentary people search....and if you tag EVERY image search works....and I tag and use collections quite a bit....but with gallery without any tags.... I can search on cats, airplanes, a color, and of course people. And it searches all folders anywhere on my phone. Can find mountains, sunset, tractor..... I think my desktop CPU has the horsepower if my phone does.

In fact, if I am looking for a photo from the distant past I can't find via tags or collections, I will search my photo library on my phone, find the filename and then search for the filename in LRC! That just shouldn't be necessary

Considering what we pay for LRC IMHO the search capabilities need a huge upgrade to current standards and other free apps. Now perhaps that is in the works....I certainly hope so.

Thanks,
BJB

The LrC Search/filter capabilities has long been noted as having major omissions and flaws, even well before AI came on the scene. W were hopeful that the "subject" serach in LR/Cloud (I think they calle it Sensei) would find its way into LR/Classic but so far has not. But even byond that there is a long laundry list of imporvements that should be made - not the least of which is their use of a space as a delimiter while at the same time not supporting uptting search term phrases in quotes to treat them as a single term. For example you can't search for keyword "Fred Smith". You can search for images that have a KW with either "Fred" or "Smith" or you can search for imagaes that have a KW containging "Fred" as well as a keyword containing "Smith" but you can't search for images that have the specific keyword "Fred Smith".

There are many other major flaws and ommistions but Adobe seems to have no interest in working in that area.

Reactions: BJB
I get where you’re coming from. A lot of the search capabilities come from cloud processing power, which can be quite different to the abilities offered by local computing. I’d love to see more crossover, but Classic users are generally a little resistant to change. Excire plugin adds a little of that but that’ll take some big feature requests to make it integral I think.

Reactions: BJB
I get where you’re coming from. A lot of the search capabilities come from cloud processing power, which can be quite different to the abilities offered by local computing. I’d love to see more crossover, but Classic users are generally a little resistant to change. Excire plugin adds a little of that but that’ll take some big feature requests to make it integral I think.
Victoria,
Great to hear from you!

Yes, in the past we heard that us classic users were not getting new search features as Adobe couldn't use cloud server farm processing power.

However in my example, samsung has designed a search and indexing engine with zero cloud cpu processing, that is very good. Any windows or Apple computer has more processing power than a standalone android phone that the Samsung app runs on.

True some classic users don't like too much change..... But I bet we could all deal with just better search results. That is all behind the scenes and no GUI change.
BJB

In addition to Excire, the Any Vision plugin provides search similar to LR Cloud's Sensei, though using Google Cloud Vision behind the scenes to assign searchable labels to photos. To assign the labels to the photos, you need to be connected to the Internet, but the labels are stored in the catalog, so you can search while not connected.

In addition to Excire, the Any Vision plugin provides search similar to LR Cloud's Sensei, though using Google Cloud Vision behind the scenes to assign searchable labels to photos. To assign the labels to the photos, you need to be connected to the Internet, but the labels are stored in the catalog, so you can search while not connected.
Thanks, will check it out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back