• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Lightroom Classic On 2 Devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skippermark

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Lightroom Version Number
LR 8.1
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Hi - I know this topic has been discussed here and other places, including some recent forum posts, but none specifically answered my question. If anyone has a helpful link that would be awesome too.

I don't want to use LRCC because I'm creating multi-level keywords and also want the ability to write the metadata directly to the original files.

Is it possible "easily" link LR Classic between 2 computers if the "medium" in the middle is OneDrive that keeps all files downloaded & updated automatically on both devices?

On my main computer, which is Windows 10, I have my LR folder (catalog and associated preview files & such) saved in the Pictures folder. This syncs to OneDrive and is set to keep all files downloaded to the computer. It works great. My original photos are also saved in to folders that also sync to OneDrive and keeps all files downloaded.

On my second computer (also Windows 10), the LR catalog files sync over but don't actually download because I have no need for them. The photos are the same but will download/sync automatically if I open any of them in Explorer or another app. If I were to set the folders on my second computer to always be downloaded and then install LR and point to the catalog on OneDrive, would that work?

Obviously, I'd have to wait till everything was done syncing before doing any edits on the other machine. Thanks for your help!

Obviously, I'd have to wait till everything was done syncing before doing any edits on the other machine
That's the crux of the situation. You don't want to run two Lightrooms simultaneously, and you must wait for sync to finish before switching machines. It'll work, but it requires great discipline.

Awesome. Thanks, Hal. I'm pretty careful and disciplined. I'm on a keywording frenzy right now and would like to be able to do them while not always sitting at my desk. :)

I actually need to check the free space on my laptop to see if I actually have enough room to download all the files needed. I might not. Doh!

Thanks again!

Awesome. Thanks, Hal. I'm pretty careful and disciplined. I'm on a keywording frenzy right now and would like to be able to do them while not always sitting at my desk. :)

I actually need to check the free space on my laptop to see if I actually have enough room to download all the files needed. I might not. Doh!

Thanks again!

Thanks again!
Skippermark,

You might consider using an external HDD for the actual photo files. I use File Sync & Backup Software | GoodSync to keep my Windows user settings and my catalog folder synchronized between a laptop and desktop. If you are disciplined enough, that approach does work. Just don't forget that you can only work on one system at a time, and you MUST do the sync operation to completion before using Lightroom on the other system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back