• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Lightroom Classic not inviting backup upon closing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeffrey Saldinger

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
LrC 9.3
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
Last summer I updated from El Capitan to Mojave and from Lightroom CC (c. 2015) to Lightroom Classic (currently using 9.3). I have my main catalog and files on my MacBook Pro and two other catalogs (call them 1 and 2) and their files on their own external drives.

Although I’m posting the following now, the situation has existed since the OS and Lr Classic upgrades.

The backup function for catalog 2 is not working properly, or rather, the invitation to do the backup is not working. That is, even though in the catalog’s “Catalog Settings” the backup frequency is set to "Every time Lightroom exits," when I quit the catalog I never get the question window “Do you really want to quit?” or the window that starts the backup; the catalog just closes. Both the main catalog and catalog 1 are behaving normally.

I tried toggling the backup frequency choice and reopening Lightroom; that didn’t work.

I also noticed that in the Lightroom folders for the main catalog and for catalog 1, the folder containing the backups is named “Backups.” In the problematic catalog, the corresponding folder is called “Catalog Backups.” I don’t know whether that has anything to do with the situation I’ve described, but I didn’t want to change it’s name (i.e., to “Backups”) without getting some affirmation here that that wouldn’t create a new problem. I never before noticed the difference in folder names and don’t know how the difference came about.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Odd! One option might be to select all of the photos in Catalog 2 and Export To Another Catalog to a fresh catalog and see if that solves it.

Thank you, Victoria. I had been thinking there might be a fix for Catalog 2.

As I was thinking through the workflow for your suggestion, it came to me that, assuming Catalog 2 can’t be fixed, I could, instead of exporting its files to another catalog, create a new catalog (call it Catalog 3) and, if it’s behaving properly after a small trial import from another catalog, proceed with importing into it (with the “import from another catalog” function) all the files currently in Catalog 2 (perhaps in small numbers at a time; there are 9000 files (550GB)).

Have you any thoughts on whether there could be problems lurking for me in this? I imagine I’d discard Catalog 2 and its family of related “.lrdata” etc. items once the importing was over; would there be any reason to remove the files from Catalog 2 before doing this?

Yes, that's a different route to the same solution. The Export to Another Catalog would create the Catalog 3 and transfer all of the data in one go. The only issues would be if you were using cloud sync with catalog 2 or publish services, as they don't transfer when importing or exporting catalogs. Don't remove anything from Catalog 2, you could just file it with your backups when you're done.

Last summer I updated from El Capitan to Mojave and from Lightroom CC (c. 2015) to Lightroom Classic (currently using 9.3). I have my main catalog and files on my MacBook Pro and two other catalogs (call them 1 and 2) and their files on their own external drives.

Although I’m posting the following now, the situation has existed since the OS and Lr Classic upgrades.

The backup function for catalog 2 is not working properly, or rather, the invitation to do the backup is not working. That is, even though in the catalog’s “Catalog Settings” the backup frequency is set to "Every time Lightroom exits," when I quit the catalog I never get the question window “Do you really want to quit?” or the window that starts the backup; the catalog just closes. Both the main catalog and catalog 1 are behaving normally.

I tried toggling the backup frequency choice and reopening Lightroom; that didn’t work.

I also noticed that in the Lightroom folders for the main catalog and for catalog 1, the folder containing the backups is named “Backups.” In the problematic catalog, the corresponding folder is called “Catalog Backups.” I don’t know whether that has anything to do with the situation I’ve described, but I didn’t want to change it’s name (i.e., to “Backups”) without getting some affirmation here that that wouldn’t create a new problem. I never before noticed the difference in folder names and don’t know how the difference came about.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
I am having the same issue.

Yes, that's a different route to the same solution. The Export to Another Catalog would create the Catalog 3 and transfer all of the data in one go. The only issues would be if you were using cloud sync with catalog 2 or publish services, as they don't transfer when importing or exporting catalogs. Don't remove anything from Catalog 2, you could just file it with your backups when you're done.
Thank you, Victoria. I started to do it with my "different route" (as you describe it; see #3 above) and it's working fine. I don't use cloud sync at all.

In my workflow, whenever I do "Export as catalog" (which is not infrequently), I export the files to a new location. I've been doing it this way for years (muscle memory, pretty much on autopilot) and had forgotten that I could uncheck "Export negative files" and thus create the new Catalog 3 without having to export 550GB of files at the same time. That is why my idea of importing to the new Catalog 3 came to mind -- if I'd needed to export the 550GB of files (which I thought I did), it would have taken a long time and required using a new external drive (the current drive is 1TB).

So, thanks again for your help with this. I appreciate knowing (or rather being reminded of) this aspect of exporting a new catalog. Your solution leaves the files where they are and "merely" creates a new catalog of them.

I have been having dreadful issues with Creative Cloud and Lightroom 9.4 these past few weeks.
I have now closed down Creative cloud and just log into Lightroom. I will try that for a while i was able to open today without constantly
needing to sign in.
But no request for backup.
I can live with that. But considering I am paying for Adobe each month I am not at all impressed.
I am waiting until the Update for the apple M1 chips before upgrading my system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back