• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Lightroom Classic not backing up Catalog after moving Catalog to a larger external Hard Drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Cicchine

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
Hello to all!

It's been quite a while since I have been here and I guess that's a good thing but I do have a question now. A few weeks ago I moved my Lightroom Classic Catalog from a 4 TB G-Drive External Hard Drive to a new 6 TB G-Drive External Hard Drive. I did it for greater capacity and to temporarily store the photos from one of my external Photo Hard Drives. I am a U.S. Citizen residing in the Philippines but I am currently in the U.S. in the New York City area and I did not want to bring both of my Photo Hard Drives because of airline weight limits. I have 2 External Hard Drives for Photo Storage (soon 3) and 1 to store my Catalog. When I get back to the Philippines I plan to transfer back to my #2 Photo Storage Drive the photos I am temporarily storing on Catalog Storage Drive. I copied and transfered the information from the older Catalog Drive to the newer drive and double clicked on what I ususually click on to open LR as you will see in one of the screen shots and LR recognized the new location as it is supposed to. This is the 2nd. time I have moved my Catalog. Everything seems to function ok but I have noticed after LR opens I now need to click on "Library" to open the Library Module where as before the Library Module would open automatically. Then the next item I noticed and I am more concerned about is that previously when I would quit LR I would be asked I believe it says "Do you want to Back Up" and I have the option of proceeding or "Skip this time". I am not getting that question now. I am a firm beleiver in backing up and I have it set to back up once a week. And so my question is What could I have done wrong??? I plan to include several screen shots that I have numbered with as much information as I think you will need. They are as follows...

-1, Has the information from when my Catalog was on the previous Drive.
-2, Has the information I told LR as to where to Back Up my Catalog. (Hi Lighted in Blue)
-3, This shows what is active when I turn on LR. I click on where it shows "v10.lrcat 5.85 GB". I saw a video on YouTube by I believe "Rocky Mountain School of Photography. The
Instructor recommended to open LR this way rather than using the icon in the dock to better identify which Catalog is being used and it's worked well for me so far. (Hi Lighted in Blue)
-4, This also shoes exactly what I click on to open LR. (Hi Lighted in Blue)
-5, This shows where I am temporarily storing the photos from my #2 Photo Storage Drive until I go back to the Philippines and have access to that particular drive. This method has also
worked well for me in the past without any problems. (Hi Lighted in Blue)

And that's all that I have to share with you. I apologize if you feel this message is a bit long but I prefer to send you as much information as I can to help you in assisting me. Also I realize that my Catalog Structure as I believe it's called is a bit messed up but that's something I plan to reach out for help as soon as I can but not for now. Please be advised that I may have some difficulty sending this off to you because my Internet connection here where I am staying is not as good as our apartment in the Philippines but I will do my best. As always I thank everyone for you kind help in the past and I look forward to hearing from you. Please message me if you have any questions.
1, Before moving LR. Cat. .png
2, Where I told LR. to back up my Catalog. .png
3, What I am using high lighted in Blue..png
4, Hi Lighted in Blue is what I click on to open LR. .png
5, Where I am temp. storing my photos from my #2 Photo Storage Drive.png

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back