• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Lightroom classic keeps freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianWatson

Lightroom Version Number
Classic 11.3.1
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Since updating to 11.3 and 11.3.1, my Lightroom Classic keeps freezing and I have to close it down and restart it to get it going again.
I am also finding that changes I make to an image in the develop mode do not appear in the image when I switch back to Library mode and that very often, if I try to make changes in the library mode (using 'Quick Develop'), no change appears in the image unless I switch to Develop mode.
Anyone experiencing the same problems?
Any suggested solutions?

I am not experiencing any issues with the latest LRC.
To better help you, tell us about your pc and windows:
Are you running the latest Win 10?
CPU, RAM, hard drive size and free space on the C drive; other drives ?
Number of photos in the catalog?
Where are the photos stored - internal drive or external?
Are the photos you are having issues with RAW, jpeg, or tiff?

I might first try uninstalling LRC, then reinstalling it

Jimmsp - Thanks - details are Windows 10 Pro 21H2; 64 bit; 32 gb RAM; Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6820HQ CPU @ 2.70GHz; 1 Tb hard drive ssd with 255 gb space; 39,000 photos (at the moment but I usually remove photos from LR after I have sorted/processed them); mostly (but not all) on external drive and mostly RAW files.
Hope this helps

Computer details look good to me. 255 GB should be plenty of free space.
At this point I would use the Adobe Creative Cloud app to uninstall Lightroom Classic.
I would then do a computer restart, and the use the Creative Cloud app to reinstall LRC.
If that fails to solve the problems, I begin to suspect a hardware problem, someplace.

Another thought. LR shouldn't freeze.
If you create a new test catalog, and reimport some of your photos, does it still freeze?

Many thanks, Jimmsp.
Excuse my ignorance but, if I uninstall and reinstall using Creative Cloud app, will everything reappear afterwards as it is now i.e. with all my same photos, smart collections, collections, edits, flags etc.

Brian, everything you mention (except photos) is contained in the catalog. The catalog knows where the photos are. It is always good practice to back up the catalog, so be sure to do that. I also back up all my catalogs to an external drive. Then when you reinstall LRC, open up the catalog - don't create a new one.
I was just suggesting that you create a new catalog as a test for the current install of LR, and see if that freezes as well.

Sometimes, strange behavior in LR can be resolved by just just resetting the LR Preferences. https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/
Maybe you should do that first - but it is unlikely it is the source of freezing.

I am also finding that changes I make to an image in the develop mode do not appear in the image when I switch back to Library mode and that very often, if I try to make changes in the library mode (using 'Quick Develop'), no change appears in the image unless I switch to Develop mode.
This is a known bug in LR 11.3 and 11.3.1 that Adobe has acknowledged:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/p-library-previews-not-updating/idi-p/12897363

It will likely be fixed in LR 11.4, which if history is any guide, will be released in the next week or two. Meanwhile, the only workaround is to roll back to 11.2.

If resetting preferences doesn't fix your freezing issue, definitely roll back to 11.2 and wait for 11.4.

Brian, everything you mention (except photos) is contained in the catalog. The catalog knows where the photos are. It is always good practice to back up the catalog, so be sure to do that. I also back up all my catalogs to an external drive. Then when you reinstall LRC, open up the catalog - don't create a new one.
I was just suggesting that you create a new catalog as a test for the current install of LR, and see if that freezes as well.

Sometimes, strange behavior in LR can be resolved by just just resetting the LR Preferences. https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/
Maybe you should do that first - but it is unlikely it is the source of freezing.
Many thanks, Jimmsp. Really appreciate your help.
Will let you know how I get on following your suggestions.

This is a known bug in LR 11.3 and 11.3.1 that Adobe has acknowledged:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/p-library-previews-not-updating/idi-p/12897363

It will likely be fixed in LR 11.4, which if history is any guide, will be released in the next week or two. Meanwhile, the only workaround is to roll back to 11.2.

If resetting preferences doesn't fix your freezing issue, definitely roll back to 11.2 and wait for 11.4.
Thanks, johnrellis. Will look out for LR 11.4

Many thanks, Jimmsp. Really appreciate your help.
Will let you know how I get on following your suggestions.
Have uninstalled and reinstalled as you suggested and it seems to have solved 90% of my problem. So, thanks again for your help.
The remaining 10% is some slowness in updating previews with edits I make which I can live with until the next update which hopefully will address this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back