• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Lightroom Classic iPhone sync issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom_12

Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic 10.1.1
Operating System
  1. macOS 11 Big Sur
Hello everyone. I am using Lightroom classic and also have the mobile apps on my iPhone and my iPad.
On my iMac, I cannot stop Lightroom Classic from creating an "iPhone" folder and then automatically syncing it across all of my devices and the cloud.
In fact, at the moment I have 4 folders all named "iPhone" and one names "Thomas's iPhone"
I have disabled 'Auto add from camera roll' on both iPad and iPhone.
I have placed both mobile devices into airplane mode, and the syncing carries on.
If I delete any of the "iPhone" folders they immediate appear again.

I suspected this might have something to do with the Adobe Photoshop Lightroom cloud-based app on my iMac (sorry not sure what its actually called, Adobe's nomenclature is ridiculous) but even when I close that app, or disable syncing in it, the 'iPhone' folder issue persists.

When I pause syncing in Adobe Lightroom Classic the problem stops, until I enable syncing again.

So I began to think maybe these folders and photos are all coming in from the cloud, however, when i allow the sync to continue for a while, i can see that its using up more cloud data..

To be clear, I do not want to import, sync or upload to the cloud my entire iPhone camera roll, and I do not want to see those photos in Lightroom classic.

Its been a rough go these past few months, I lost 20+ years of photos due to two simultaneous hard drive crashes.. just trying to start over on this.
Thanks in advance for your help!

I have the exact same issue, I am currently showing 4 folders created by Lr, 2 iPhone and 2 iPad, and none of them have any images in them. I don't want to see any of my mobile images in my LR-Classic. I prefer to keep all those type images on Lightoom CC but I do want the ability to create collections from LRC that can share on LRCC
I would also appreciate any help

I don't want to see any of my mobile images in my LR-Classic. I prefer to keep all those type images on Lightoom CC but I do want the ability to create collections from LRC that can share on LRCC
Not possible. If you sync a Classic catalog with the cloud, every image that is currently in the cloud, and every image that you subsequently add to the cloud from any of the Lightroom apps, will all automatically download into Classic. You can change the location where the downloaded images are stored in Classic (so you wouldn't see those extra iPhone and iPad "folders"), but you cannot have images in the cloud which do not sync to Classic.

Dave - thanks for that note.

I've put Lightroom Mobile on my iPhone 12 running 14.4.2. Lightroom appears to take great photos. Now, I want to only take iPhone photos with Lightroom mobile. I then want to have all Lightroom Mobile photos imported into my Lightroom Classic 10.2 on a MacBook Pro running 11.2.3.

I understand that I should turn on sync in the Identity Place. My Identity Plate only shows Address Lookup and Face Detection.

Second, I see issues about syncing Lightroom Classic with the cloud. I'm not particularly interested in syncing my stuff at this point. Up to now, I've only run Lightroom 6 and then Classic on one machine with my own backups. I'm open to using Lightroom on a second device if I can take LR pics with my iPhone and have them automatically transferred to my Lightroom Classic on my MacBook. Do I have to sync with Adobe's cloud?

Paul

Last edited:
I understand that I should turn on sync in the Identity Place. My Identity Plate only shows Address Lookup and Face Detection.

Second, I see issues about syncing Lightroom Classic with the cloud. I'm not particularly interested in syncing my stuff at this point. Up to now, I've only run Lightroom 6 and then Classic on one machine with my own backups. I'm open to using Lightroom on a second device if I can take LR pics with my iPhone and have them automatically transferred to my Lightroom Classic on my MacBook. Do I have to sync with Adobe's cloud?

Paul
The newest versions of Lightroom Classic have moved the sync option to the little cloud icon on the top right of the top panel.

Lightroom Classic only syncs images from static collections to the cloud, You have to authorize each collection (or no collections) to sync. Once you have sync’d with the cloud, a Special Synched Photographs Collection is created in the catalog panel. You can sync LrC image not in collections to the cloud by putting them I’m this special collection.
If you turn on Syncing, any Lightroom (mobile) albums will sync down to LrC as Collections As long as you don’t put any other locally imported photos in these sync’d collections, none of your local to LrC images will sync to the cloud.

There is no harm in syncing LrC imported images to the cloud. LrC only sends a small proxy image to the cloud AND these do not count against your 20GB plan limit. Images coming from Lightroom mobile do count toward the 20GB limit and will be sync’d as full size images to the cloud.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back