• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Lightroom Classic has been moved down in the Creative Cloud Apps Menu

Status
Not open for further replies.

ocanannain

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I've been away from Lightroom for a few days and just discovered that the Lightroom Classic App has been moved down 4 places in the Creative Cloud Apps Menu. It's now located BELOW Bridge, Portfolio, Spark and Behance. (please see attached image)

What is that all about. In my workflow, I use Lightroom Classic, Photoshop and Bridge most often.. . in that order. I'd like them all up toward the top again.

Does anyone know why this change was made?

Also, can we change the order of these apps in the menu to suit our working style?

Attachments

• lightroommoved.gif
    lightroommoved.gif
    38.7 KB · Views: 253
Or hit the search and type "light" or similar; windows 10 has almost broken me of using menus, just a few letters calls up what I need quickly (those I don't have on the task bar, like photoshop itself).

But to your question - I have no idea. Maybe random movement, maybe a demotion in the grand scheme of things at Adobe, maybe there's a native sort that we can't see that pushed it up (something about release dates or numbers or whatever).

Might be a demotion. I'm pretty sure Adobe wants people to start using LR CC . I won't be surprised if one day Classic is gone. Makes sense to have one cross platform software. Question is how will it handle file storage for desktops and mobile devices. Will local be available for desktops?

I think the menu shift is reflecting the introduction or emphasis of new apps which are getting most favored nation treatment. I don't have Lightroom CC installed on this machine and it has been pushed off the page with a button that says "Try"

It is not installed on mine either.

Might be a demotion. I'm pretty sure Adobe wants people to start using LR CC . I won't be surprised if one day Classic is gone. Makes sense to have one cross platform software. Question is how will it handle file storage for desktops and mobile devices. Will local be available for desktops?
Zenon,

Classic is cross-platform desktop software. The small desktop part of Lightroom CC is also cross-platform.

Phil Burton

So you can use Classic on an iPad?

So you can use Classic on an iPad?
No. Though Classic can upload smart previews which you can edit with CC on an ipad, but that's when you start mixing CC and Classic (I realize for the purists that "Classic" is technically "Classic CC" but since "CC" is just "CC" I do not know what to call "CC" to distinguish it other than by omission).

I didn't think you could but I thought I'd check. Things change so fast these days. I know Classic uploads smart previews and have seen a few people get into issues installing LR CC and Classic on the same desktop. I recall reading here about work arounds but you have to be careful. I know I'm not going to try it.

Why don't you just add these applications to the Windows Taskbar and start them from there? There is no need to use the CC app for that.

Yes, absolutely Taskbar works fine, as well as opening from the Windows start button .... I had just gotten in the habit of opening from the Cloud menu. And it bothers me that Lightroom Classic seems to be getting a demotion at Adobe.

Or hit the search and type "light" or similar; windows 10 has almost broken me of using menus, just a few letters calls up what I need quickly (those I don't have on the task bar, like photoshop itself).

But to your question - I have no idea. Maybe random movement, maybe a demotion in the grand scheme of things at Adobe, maybe there's a native sort that we can't see that pushed it up (something about release dates or numbers or whatever).

Yes, this is bringing up old fears many of us had last year that Classic was on its way out. Then, of course, Adobe came in and tried to assure us that no such thing was happening. Well, as they say .... that was then; this is now.

That is the question - what happens to our files? Will LR CC have local and cloud storage options?

I just want an option in Classic to mark a collection as "Sync Full" or "Sync Smart Previews" so that I can choose if it syncs the full version instead of just smart previews. I would like to import a huge bunch of photos, use the smart preview synch to quickly cull them using my iPad, then after I've culled the pics I don't want to keep tell it to sync everything. I shoot sports, so it's not uncommon after a shoot to have 2500 pics that are culled down to 100-200.

My guess is that will likely be the path. There is no doubt Adobe wants more cloud users. The speculation is once LR CC becomes sophisticated enough Classic will be finished. I don't know that is true and I'm not worried about it. I just find it interesting. It is plausible. A smart company would offer both of those options and continually encourage cloud storage with incentives, etc. That is what I would do.

I should say that was not trying to say I'm smart. Adobe is doing very well. However I can guarantee that if Classic pushed files to the cloud as well I would not signed up. I have nothing against the cloud, I just want a choice. Don't know how many feel that way and I'm probably a dying generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back