• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Lightroom Classic has become unresponsive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arranbantam

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 12 Monterey
Since the beginning of this year, I have been running Lightroom Classic 12 on a MacBook Pro 2021 (Apple MI Pro chip),Mac OS Monterey 12.2.1, with 16GB of memory. Photos are held on an external hard drive.
All has been going well until this week, when I have been applying masks to about 200 of my images (using the masking tool for the first time!). While I was doing the masking last week over 3-4 days, I did not have any problems, but I have since encountered big problems with Lightroom. After doing only one or two actions, I am constantly getting the spinning colour wheel, which goes on and on, together with 'loading' and 'calculating' messages when loading images. I then have to close down Lightroom/Mac, often 'force quitting' or rebooting, then trying to open up again, but the same problem persists.
Is this something to do with masking I have been doing? It seems odd if it isn't, as it is a problem that has only just started. Has anyone encountered this before, or have any solutions?

Thanks
Andy

Solution
Last night I tried to go back to version 12.0, but it was no better, so decided I might just as well go back to 12.0.1.
Lo and behold, that re-install seems to have cleared my issue, fingers crossed. This in in effect option 7 of your trouble shooting list, so thank you for that.
What kind of masks did you add to the images? And the images that are slow, are they the ones with masks or without?

Thanks for coming back to me Victoria.
The masks were fairly simple adjustments to the exposure, clarity and dehaze sliders. About 2 per image.
It has just occurred to me that I have replaced the sky on approximately 50% of these images. Could that have caused Lightroom to slow right down and cease to work?
Thanks

Analyzing the sky for all of the images could indeed slow it down... I'd wait a while before force quitting and see if it frees itself up, or paste in smaller chunks to see if that helps.

I'm really at a loss Victoria. Every time I open up Lightroom, I get 'Loading' then the spinning colour wheel, and have to try and close down again, because I can't do anything.
I have removed some of the masks, but it has not made any difference. My feeling is that it is more to do with the sky replacements. What is the best way to remove the replacement skies, and get the images back to their original state. Is it just pressing the 'Reset' button? If so, because the images are 'loading', the reset button is not operational.

I'm actually having the same issue but without doing any masking, only slight adjustments to the file. I'm running the same MBP but with M1 Max and with 32GB and the same all files are stored on EHD's as well,

My issue happens when I go to export a finished file. the spinning wheel of death pops up and takes about 35 seconds to export one file. This started happening about a week after downloading LRCC12

Having the same issue. Upgraded to LRC12 and now when i try to export any image, regardless of the amount of development, LR grinds to a halt.

I can wait for hours it seems and this what my Task Manager is telling me!!!

84% CPU usage to export one photo on a Desk Top with the fasted i7cpu, 23% of 32gigs of RAM!!

I havent used LR in months, and this is what i come back to, the same issues as LR 1.0 c2007.

Recommendations for alternative photo editing.?

LR.PNG

Having the same issue. Upgraded to LRC12 and now when i try to export any image, regardless of the amount of development, LR grinds to a halt.

Brad and @Majestictone, what's the GPU setting in Preferences > Performance? Since yours is grinding to a halt at export, I suspect it's a different issue, so we may split you off into a different thread.

Last night I tried to go back to version 12.0, but it was no better, so decided I might just as well go back to 12.0.1.
Lo and behold, that re-install seems to have cleared my issue, fingers crossed. This in in effect option 7 of your trouble shooting list, so thank you for that.

Solution
I'm going to add my 2 cents to the discussion. I'm using LRC the same way I've always used it and within the last 10 days or so, performance has become ridiculous slow and CPU utilization is often over 100% within a few minutes of launching the application. What is it with Adobe that they keep releasing new features but don't seem to care about improving performance. Do they think releasing new features without performing exhaustive performance QA is what its customers want? Perhaps they want to use its customers as beta testers for poorly thought out new technology and feature.

Was hoping to be able to amend my comment above to say that despite what Adobe does or doesn't do, the folks in these forums are a pretty helpful group. Thanks for that. I guess I'll see if a reinstall will work if I can get a hold of the software.

@protagonisto If the reinstall doesn't do the trick, it'd be worth starting a separate thread, as yours could be a completely different issue, and could be easily fixed. They've made some pretty good performance improvements over the last few years, but it could be something as simple as the GPU getting disabled by a bug, or it's needing to finish something that it started the last time.

@protagonisto If the reinstall doesn't do the trick, it'd be worth starting a separate thread, as yours could be a completely different issue, and could be easily fixed. They've made some pretty good performance improvements over the last few years, but it could be something as simple as the GPU getting disabled by a bug, or it's needing to finish something that it started the last time.
Do I have to contact Adobe to get the installer for 12.0.0

Do I have to contact Adobe to get the installer for 12.0.0
No. In the Creative Cloud Desktop app, select the "All apps" tab and in the list of your installed apps click on the tri-dot icon at the right-hand end of the Lightroom Classic entry, and select "Other Versions". You will then see a list of older versions which you can install, click on the entry for 12.0 and proceed as directed.

No. In the Creative Cloud Desktop app, select the "All apps" tab and in the list of your installed apps click on the tri-dot icon at the right-hand end of the Lightroom Classic entry, and select "Other Versions". You will then see a list of older versions which you can install, click on the entry for 12.0 and proceed as directed.
Thank you Jim!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back