• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

lightroom classic freezing on card import

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimBugbee

Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version: 13.2
Operating System
  1. Windows 11
I've had a recurring issue with importing from my card... using a Win 11 64 bit machine with the latest OS (it's only a year old, so shouldn't be hardware limited), CF Express external card reader. More often than not lately, I run into Adobe Lightroom Not Responding dialog and the app greys out and i get the spinny blue circle... have to close the program and repeat.

looking at the adobe site KB, i tried this solution but didn't resolve it:

Hey, I got this nuisance fixed. I reset preferences by going to
users/user/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/Lightroom/Preferences/. I then
removed the file [Lightroom Classic CC 7 Preferences.agprefs] by
dragging it to the recycle bin. I shut down Lightroom and rebooted
the computer and restarted Lightroom. I clicked on import and got an
immediate response with the import dialog boxes. No freezes...

occasionally if i try it enough times i am finally able to import, but it's rather irritating to have to do so.

any ideas?

Have you tried different card readers? Different ports? It could be your card reader or the cable (if it has one) that attaches it to the computer. Do not use a USB hub or if you use a Hub, it should have its own power supply. I only have Apple but I am able to import from several different CF Express card readers on MacOS and iPadOs. My card readers are XQD/CF Express. CF Express only and mount to USB3 A Ports or USB-C ports.

I think the card reader is more likely at fault not Lightroom Classic. Lightroom Classic is more sensitive to faulty equipment than other apps

Complementing Cletus points.

1. Not all usb ports on a device may be full speed. Sometimes there are usb 2.0 ports, really designed for mouse or keyboard connections.
2. Run a test where you copy the contents of a card to a folder on your fastest drive and calculated the speed of transfer, in terms of Megabytes per second.
3. When I have an issue with peripherals my first suspect is always the cable / ports as both are easily damaged.

thanks i don't have another reader to try (and was kinda pissed that CF Express made me buy another piece of hardware) but i do plug it straight into the front of the PC via a USB port. I will definitely try different cables though, thanks!

i swapped cables and the first card from last night's shoot imported just fine. i tried the 2nd one and it hung again.

Shut down lightroom, tried again - same thing, not responding.

on my boot drive, 321GB and on my data drive (both SSD, i download and edit on my data drive and then move over to my RAID) 321GB

I've had a recurring issue with importing from my card... using a Win 11 64 bit machine with the latest OS (it's only a year old, so shouldn't be hardware limited), CF Express external card reader. More often than not lately, I run into Adobe Lightroom Not Responding dialog and the app greys out and i get the spinny blue circle... have to close the program and repeat.

looking at the adobe site KB, i tried this solution but didn't resolve it:

occasionally if i try it enough times i am finally able to import, but it's rather irritating to have to do so.

any ideas?
Are you "ejecting" the card correctly?

Sorry to hear of your issue. If I was trying to figure this out, I'd
  • Try/buy a different card reader. I know that others have suggested this but you are trying to find the problem through elimination of interconnected components. Don't know where you live, but my local library offers some camera equipment.
  • How old is your card? Did you format on your camera or PC? Former is best practice. I'm wondering if it could be the problem. Others can comment on whether SD cards can gradually fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back