• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Lightroom Classic folder structure

Status
Not open for further replies.

crshlagor

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic 10.2
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
When I import photos into Lightroom Classic, there are two different "child" folder nomenclatures that are built automatically. For example, under the parent folder "2021" it will build "4-27" but it also builds 2021-4-27. Each of those folders will have different photos in them. Can anyone explain why this is?
Lightroom files 2.jpg

Looks like you changed the dated folders setup at some point. Another possibility is that you use a different setting (but the same destination) for images that are synced down from the cloud, such as images taken on your iPhone.

Johan- A good point about 'mobile' photos that download. (Set in Preferences)
It took me a long time to understand the 'Date' format options in the Import dialog!

FOLDER PRESETS FOR LR IMPORT.jpg

Looks like you changed the dated folders setup at some point. Another possibility is that you use a different setting (but the same destination) for images that are synced down from the cloud, such as images taken on your iPhone.
I haven't changed any folder set-up. When I upload from the memory card, these folders just appear in Lightroom. Sometimes there is only one folder for a particular date, sometimes there are two folders for the same date but with different designations, i.e. 04-20 and 2020-04-20. Sometimes the same photos are in both, sometimes they're not the same. It's baffling!

Johan- A good point about 'mobile' photos that download. (Set in Preferences)
It took me a long time to understand the 'Date' format options in the Import dialog!

View attachment 16521
I'm pretty new to Lightroom. Can you explain where I would find the option to select/highlight the Destination Panel? Do I do this every time I upload from the memory card or will it default to what I select every time? Thanks for your help.

I'm pretty new to Lightroom. Can you explain where I would find the option to select/highlight the Destination Panel? Do I do this every time I upload from the memory card or will it default to what I select every time? Thanks for your help.
Start at the top of the Import dialog window. Here you will chose Copy as DNG/Copy/Move/Add. The choice will impact what appears in the right hand panel where you set up how you want your files renamed and where they are to be located. I suggest selecting each one at the top and seeing how the right hand panel changes.

--Ken

Start at the top of the Import dialog window. Here you will chose Copy as DNG/Copy/Move/Add. The choice will impact what appears in the right hand panel where you set up how you want your files renamed and where they are to be located. I suggest selecting each one at the top and seeing how the right hand panel changes.

--Ken
Thanks, that's helpful. Still doesn't explain why I get two different folder types when I upload directly from a memory card because I haven't changed anything in that import dialogue box previously that would change the folder names or structure. I just now changed the folder nomenclature to 2021-05-01 but I doubt it will change anything. The default that was there was something that doesn't describe how any of my folders are currently named. Very weird.

Thanks, that's helpful. Still doesn't explain why I get two different folder types when I upload directly from a memory card because I haven't changed anything in that import dialogue box previously that would change the folder names or structure. I just now changed the folder nomenclature to 2021-05-01 but I doubt it will change anything. The default that was there was something that doesn't describe how any of my folders are currently named. Very weird.
Try your new settings and see what happens. If you still have issues, note the sequence and settings as that should help troubleshoot.

Good luck,

--Ken

Once you're sure your import settings are as you want, I suggest to save them as an import preset and use it for the next import. That way you'lle be sure to always have the correct setting.
To save as an import preset, go down to the bottom of the import window, rhere is a bowx named "Import preset". At the right of this box, there is a double arrow. Click on it, and in the list, select "Save as new preset". Give it a name and voila !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back