• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Lightroom Classic editing synched Lightroom (cloud version) photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

thommy

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version: 10.2
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Hi

I follow a Lightroom/Photoshop group on Facebook and one person in that group stated and warned about using Lightroom Classic to edit synched Lightroom (cloud version) photos.

The following should have been the reason:
Since Lightroom Classic only upload smart previews, so if you edit it, it removes the original from Adobe's server and replaces it with a smart preview dng. Then when you open Lightroom Cloud, it writes, downloads the smart preview version and you make an edit there, then it uploads it and then overwrites the original in classic.

And also this was stated:
And synching is slow because Adobes public API that Lightroom classic uses is unfortunately broken. Will be updated sometime in the future. (official answer).

Is this correct?

I would imagine Adobe letting us know and warn us to use something that would overwrite our originals?

Thanks!

Thommy

Hi Thommy

Basically - wrong on all counts! If the original is in the cloud, edits in Classic that are synced to it are reflected in the sync version, but it's still the original in the cloud.

Once Classic has an original, it isn't replaced with a Smart Preview from the cloud either - this is incorrect.

The sync to Classic workflow isn't an official Adobe supported one, but more find it works satisfactorily.

Paul, by sync to classic do you mean syncing photos to Classic from Lr on iPad/iPhone etc? I only ask as occasionally I take shots with my phone and sync them back to Classic.

Paul, by sync to classic do you mean syncing photos to Classic from Lr on iPad/iPhone etc? I only ask as occasionally I take shots with my phone and sync them back to Classic.
Exactly so. The full res photo taken on your iPhone goes up to the cloud full res, and syncs down the full res photo o Classic.

Thanks, Paul. Going that way round - does it eat up cloud storage? I know syncing from LrC does not.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back