• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Lightroom Classic (Desktop) - Strange File actions in the latest update for Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

broden01

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version: 9.3 [ 202005281810-476e492c ]
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I often export edited images to a sub-directory and add them to the catalogue in the export dialogue. I maybe wrong but I am sure there was an option to just export to the sub folder not create an image in the original folder. I then upload the .jpg to it's final destination, go back and cleanup by deleting the sub folder and it's images. After the last update when a exported image is created the sub directory and files are there. There is also a copy of the .jpg created in the original folder. If the .jpg in the original folder is deleted the copied file in the sub folder also gets deleted. I do not think that is right. If I delete the .jpg in the sub folder using Lightroom the same file in the original directory is also deleted. Some how Lightroom is linking the exported file in another folder and is behaving as if they are the same file. Some further testing reveals when the exported files are sent to a folder that is not a sub-directory, ie Desktop the duplication and duplicate deletion does not occur. Lightroom has, I think broken a Windows file rule. Any observations or help will be appreciated.
Broden

The Export destination is set in the Export Location Section of the Export Dialog. You can check the "Put in Subfolder" checkbox and name a subfolder.

I often export edited images to a sub-directory and add them to the catalogue in the export dialogue. I maybe wrong but I am sure there was an option to just export to the sub folder not create an image in the original folder. I then upload the .jpg to it's final destination, go back and cleanup by deleting the sub folder and it's images. After the last update when a exported image is created the sub directory and files are there. There is also a copy of the .jpg created in the original folder. If the .jpg in the original folder is deleted the copied file in the sub folder also gets deleted. I do not think that is right. If I delete the .jpg in the sub folder using Lightroom the same file in the original directory is also deleted. Some how Lightroom is linking the exported file in another folder and is behaving as if they are the same file. Some further testing reveals when the exported files are sent to a folder that is not a sub-directory, ie Desktop the duplication and duplicate deletion does not occur. Lightroom has, I think broken a Windows file rule. Any observations or help will be appreciated.
Broden
Yep, know that. If you name a folder and it is a sub folder of the origin of the export folder. Lightroom will treat it as a link not a separate file, which it is in fact it is according to windows file explorer.

...There is also a copy of the .jpg created in the original folder. ...
Broden,
I think you just have the option checked 'ON' to [Show Photos in sub-Folders] under the 'Library' menu.
When checked 'on' this will indeed show all photos in sub-folders below the selected parent folder.
If not renamed, the exported JPG will appear beside the 'original' if the sort is by Filename.

Thank you! You are right. Unchecked that option and all is normal. Very strange.
What is very annoying is that I did not change that setting, ever. Adobe is behaving like Microsoft by overwriting user preferences during an update. After the last update I noticed several weird behaviors. The app opened on a blank, maybe new, catalogue. I selected the valid catalogue and when it opened it had a variety differences I was not sure that I understood. I went to the last backup and used it to overwrite my catalogue and all was normal except for that setting you pointed out. Thanks for the help. Thanks to Adobe for the blown 3 hours trying to figure out screwed up settings.
Broden

I wouldn't be so sure it was Adobe changing something. Many times people think they are typing in a text field like a title or caption or keyword where the field is not selected and instead of typing the text the keystrokes are interpreted as speed key instructions that can cause unexpected changes. Another common user error is a missed mouse click. For example, a recent client was surprised that many of her collections were synced to the cloud as she has never used cloud sync "Ever!". Well, the cloud sync "clickable" icon is right next to the "expand collection set" spinner triangle and if you miss the triangle by a bit you can inadvertently toggle the "sync this collection" setting. I'm sure there are other similar "oops" situations that have bitten folks.

Now, this isn't to say that Adobe never changes something surreptitiously to the surprise of users, just that it isn't always them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back