• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Lightroom Classic CC slow after update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikePhotog

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Classic CC 8.2.1 Release 1206193
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Hi Everyone,

I applied the April update and since it seems that my Lightroom has been running much slower. The behavior seems to get worse as I use the program, if I exit and come back in it seems to run better for a while.

My computer is not the greatest, Intel Core i5, 16 GB of memory, both SSD drives for the operating system and for the catalog and image files.

I have gone through some of the suggestions on the Internet about optimizing Lightroom, cache size limit, purging the cache, optimizing the catalog, etc. My catalog is not what I consider very large, it has 6,650 images in it.

I wonder if anyone has experienced this type of behavior either recently or in the past and if you found any specific issues that may have caused it?

I will greatly appreciate any feedback.

Miguel.

Hi Miguel, welcome to the forum! Sorry we missed your thread. That's a tiny catalog, so that's unlikely to be the cause. On Windows, the graphics card driver is often a cause for various issues, so check the manufacturer's website for an update. Beyond that, can you be a bit more specific about exactly what functions are slow?

Hi Victoria,

Thank you very much for your response. I know the subject of my question is almost impossible to respond to due to all the variables involved.

Mainly I wanted to find out if anyone had seen a recent slow down due to recent Windows updates. The program was working fine up to a couple of weeks ago. I already tried disabling my antivirus to see if that was the cause. I also went through the steps suggested in some web sites to optimize the catalog, cache location, clear the cache, preview sizes, etc.

The program is sluggish overall in all tasks, but the one that I am working with currently is applying keywords. In every step there is a delay between the time I click and the time the objects are available to work on. For example if I click on a folder name on the left hand side it takes a longer than it used to for me to be able to use CTRL+A to select all images. Then it takes a few seconds before the keyword tags window becomes available for writing, etc.

I have narrowed it down to my main computer, Lightroom runs fine in my other 2 computers that have much less resources using the same catalog. I already updated the video card drivers after the problem started, my card is not new, it is an older AMD card that in its day was quite good, but it is probably approaching retirement age, I think it may be time to purchase a new video card.

Thank you again,

Miguel.

I'd also check drive space Miguel, as that could potentially have an effect on catalog read speeds. Graphics card would be my prime suspect though.

Miguel, since you said "Lightroom runs fine in my other 2 computers" it sounds like something changed on your computer. Some ideas.
  • Check for disk fragmentation. Even though you had SSD drives, running a program highly fragmented could have an effect.
  • "slow down due to recent Windows updates" that would be a separate search and check to see if any of your Windows updates included application updates.
  • You may find useful information from the Task Manager (CTL-ALT-DEL) and selecting All Users. See what is running and taking CPU time when you find LR slow.
Good luck.

• Check for disk fragmentation. Even though you had SSD drives, running a program highly fragmented could have an effect.

It is well known that SSD does not suffer of disk fragmentation, in fact there is no disk. Also, defragmenting an SSD risks to drastically reduce its lifetime.

Sent using Tapatalk

Thanks for the education Umberto. I had no idea the defragging could be detrimental to a SSD.

My defrag recommendation was based on the fact that (I believe) a SSD will still be formatted as a NFTS drive so there is a possibility that parts of a program could be on different parts of the drive and that even with the fast retrieval times, defrag may help.

As you can tell, I don't deal with SSD's.

Think of HDD like a vinyl plate spinning at same rotational speed. 1 cm at the outer rim would much more data than 1 cm at the center. So if you want to access data fast, you need to allocate it as close as possible to the outer rim. Also, if you want to read a song, you would rather have all of the notes to be located and reproduced sequencially. The HDD pick is not static as one of the LP, but it can move to search for the "song" within the disc.

On SSD there are no moving parts and memory is accessed directly and circa at the same speed and transfer rate, regardless of location. The problem is that blocks of memory of an SSD have a limited number of write cycles before they start loosing their ability to retain data reliably. SSD controllers logic include counters for those blocks and automatically deprecate the risky ones, at expenses of reduced capacity (less Mbytes).

Hope this helps!

Sent using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Good information on SSD vs. standard disks when it comes to possible fragmentation.

My Lightroom SSD has plenty of free space, 300 GB out of 900. I am suspecting the last Windows updates from about 2 weeks ago. I am going to look and see what those were and possibly roll them back if allowed.

On the other hand my video card although a good one at the time does not pass for usage in Lightroom.
Regards,

Miguel.

Thank you everyone for your feedback.

I am happy to report that my Lightroom is back to normal on the computer having the problem. Yesterday morning a Windows update notification popped up, I applied the update and as soon as I re-started the computer went into LR. Voila!

I believe that the update from 3-4 weeks ago caused the problem. I also noticed that all my other programs seem to be running faster. I guess since LR is my most resource intensive program it was more noticeable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back