• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Lightroom Classic August 2019 release (version 8.4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's more a matter of technology evolution. Not upgrading your hardware/software locks you to the technology they support. New technology appears every time and developpers takes advantage of these to add new functionalities, which, at some point, cannot be available on old hardware/software.
You can't ask editors to stop adding functionalities and new technology.
I agree this is frustrating, but it's your choice to stop this evolution on your machine.
I resisted to upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7 until yesterday because I didn't have the need of this change. I knew, however that sooner or later, I'll have to upgrade when too much functionnalities I'd like to have will be unavailable. This happened with this latest LR version, so I did the upgrade. It was not a pain, and took 1 hours only. Of course, before I did a ghost of my Win7 system disk in case something went wrong so I could revert back to Win7 quickly. But, all went fine and I just had to install Open Shell to get the same menu as in Win7 (I hate the Win10 menu, not efficient enough for me)

Thanks for this most useful information. I have limited budget these days and will have to think very carefully about the value of the feature sets for various solutions. I've no doubt that I will be making value judgements and more than likely accepting a lower feature set than Lightroom gives me at present. Disappointing for me but a reality of life.

Just to add to Jim's comments about CO. If you like to keep up and have the latest improvements CO is an on annual upgrade system. Next one will be in sometime in Nov. If you don't get a discount when you purchase it can cost $450 in the first year.

Just to add to Jim's comments about CO. If you like to keep up and have the latest improvements CO is an on annual upgrade system. Next one will be in sometime in Nov. If you don't get a discount when you purchase it can cost $450 in the first year.

Just for your info, I have not upgraded every year. I had been using CO v7 for quite a while. Then they did a major overhaul on v12, which I then upgraded to. It is unlikely I'll upgrade to v13 unless there is something really significant. Between LR Classic, CO 12, and Photoshop, and a few other 3rd party apps (Topaz, PTGui, and Photomatix) I have everything I need.
I continue to work on my camera & photography skills - all of this software can't improve a 3rd class photo to a 1st class photo.

Just for your info, I have not upgraded every year. I had been using CO v7 for quite a while. Then they did a major overhaul on v12, which I then upgraded to. It is unlikely I'll upgrade to v13 unless there is something really significant. Between LR Classic, CO 12, and Photoshop, and a few other 3rd party apps (Topaz, PTGui, and Photomatix) I have everything I need.
I continue to work on my camera & photography skills - all of this software can't improve a 3rd class photo to a 1st class photo.

Of course no one has to upgrade every year and not suggesting anyone should. I read several forums and there seems to be a lot of people who get the next upgrade for any software they use. So it can be an expensive first year for those who do. Another thing to be aware of is if you purchase software within a few months of the upgrade you don't get it. That happened to me with DXO. It's was a little frustrating.

MS is ending free updates after Jan 2020 but providing paid for updates through until 2023. It will also continue to provide Win 7 as a virtualised environment on Azure (although I'm not sure how useful this would be for mass image manipulation). MS is obviously on a push to get Win 7 users to migrate but they are having huge resistance from the user base who have high regard for Win 7.
As of July 2019 Win 7 still had a third of the desktop market worldwide (a figure that other OSs can only dream) and I'm a little surprised that Adobe seems to disregard such a large desktop market but I guess that their commercial boffins have done their sums. Interesting that Win10 1709 has already gone into end of life but is still supported by LR 8.4. This suggests that the decision by Adobe is not driven by the MS road map but by their own development priorities.
All the points about Azure are irrelevant to the average individual desktop user.

The challenge for any software vendor is identifying which populations are still active in the marketplace for new products. Adobe may have concluded that Windows 7 remaining users are not potential customers. Those people will become Windows 10 users by default over time, as they eventually replace their older systems.

As was already mentioned, it costs lots of money to test a new release, and that test has to be done for each different OS, for both Windows and Mac.

Is anyone else having trouble with the new release and HDR merge? Mine is getting stuck - it just churns on "building preview" and does nothing.

Is anyone else having trouble with the new release and HDR merge? Mine is getting stuck - it just churns on "building preview" and does nothing.

I just went back and redid one I took a couple of months ago - and it was fine.

What OS and computer system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back