• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Lightroom changing resolution to 240dpi when sending to Photoshop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lchh

Lightroom Version Number
Version 4.1, 20201120-1311-17d302b Build.
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I firstly edit my photos in Lightroom, and then edit again in Photoshop. The photos are 300dpi in Lightroom, but when they arrive in Photoshop they have changed to 240dpi. This happens regardless of whether I crop a photo or not.

I cannot see any way to set this to stop this happening, but clearly I'm missing something? I presume it's a setting in Lightroom, but 'Preferences' now has hardly any settings to tweak. I am using the latest desktop Cloud version.

Help gratefully appreciated.

That is indeed the default. As ppi is irrelevant, I wouldn’t bother. You can’t change it in Lightroom, but you obviously can in Photoshop.

Agree- "irrelevant".
But if it worries you- how are the options set in your External Editing Preferences?
ScreenShot359.jpg

And there are Preferences in Photoshop's Camera Raw Options-
ScreenShot358.jpg

Thanks Johan- I have been caught out again. Must remember to read the version info.
Delete my answer that was for Classic.

Thanks both of you. I didn't realise that was the default.

It's a pain though, as I have to remember to check/change the dpi in Photoshop each time.

Thanks both of you. I didn't realise that was the default.

It's a pain though, as I have to remember to check/change the dpi in Photoshop each time.
Like I said, it’s ppi not dpi. Images are made of pixels, not dots. Why do you think that 300 ppi is important enough to change it?

the photos are 300dpi in Lightroom, but when they arrive in Photoshop they have changed to 240dpi.
An inch is a physical dimension. It is Only valid on a paper print. Pixels don't have inches because they are dimensionless until printed on paper or displayed on a fixed pitch computer screen. Photoshop offers a sizing option in ppi in anticipation of printing, In all other cases it is irrelevant. It is always irrelevant in Lightroom except in the Lightroom Classic Print module.

Sorry, I meant PPI ! I like them to be 300 for printing purposes.
My advice would be not to bother. When you print an image, you will have the pixel dimensions of that image and the paper size you want to use. Based on those two things, the effective print resolution will be calculated regardless of what the ppi value of the file says. See below how Photoshop does this. The ppi value of the image is 300 ppi, but Photoshop chooses 355 ppi when I click 'Fit Media'. The printer driver will eventually resize to adjust for the printer hardware resolution. In other words: the ppi value doesn't matter, even for printing, because it normally gets overruled anyway.

1 2021-01-11 11-07-50.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back