• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Lightroom Changes My Captions

Status
Not open for further replies.

simonplantphoto

Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
Evening all,
Been using Lightroom for many many years and do have a big love hate relationship with it.
My workflow is something like this.
Import Raw images onto HD and create 2 backups.
Once the job is edited and retouched it's then transferred onto two separate HD's and the cloud.

Ive noticed that the images transferred and stored on my external backup for some reason are having their Captions changed to something I've used for another job.

Now I'm human and do make mistakes . .
I normally move images to the external drive from within LR but I do admit to occasionally moving files outside of LR via the computer then syncing the external drive to find images and re catalog them...which I now believe is why Ive lost all my adjustments and flags etc.
Would this have also messed up my captions?

I have Automatically Write Data into XMP unticked
Can someone explain the benefits and downside to this option (never quite got my head around it)
Regards Simon

First, in your post you never once mentioned Export. Lightroom does not change originals.

Assuming that you do indeed create a derivative via the Export process, It would be the derivative file that gets the Caption assigne in Lightroom. If the Export uses a metadata preset it is possible that the metadata preset has a different caption and when you export, this preset is setting the caption for the derivative image file.

If you move original images outside of Lightroom, these images won’t have any changes (caption or other wise) since these changes are maintained only in the catalog file. If you sync the folder to reimport the image file, you are reimporting the original file. This is always a mistake. If you move an image outside of Lightroom, Lightroom maintains all metadata about the cataloged images in the catalog file. This includes the original path. If the image has been moved, then the original path is no longer valid You need to find the moved image in the catalog and it will show as Missing. You can use the “Find Missing Photo” function to relink the images in the catalog with the path location where it was moved outside of Lightroom. This will retain all of the changes including the caption if you assigned a caption in Lightroom.

Many thank for clarifying the movement of images.
I do export images but these are mainly finished files for web and I understand your comment regarding the caption via export.
The files I notice with the issue with caption change seem to be DNG files and my master PSD and PSB files that have been archived on my external backup drive.
Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back