• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Lightroom CC Issues after Install – For Windows Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

clee01l

Lightroom Guru
Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
If you are a Windows user and are having issues with the new Subscription LRCC app after successfully installing , Please post your issue here and we will attempt to resolve and post a Solution. Before adding your issue to this thread, please review the previous posts (especially any posted Solutions) before adding your item to this thread.

The forum's no busier than I expected it to be, considering there was no public beta (and the first day debacle with both CC and LR6 installation issues certainly hasn't helped). Part of the challenge with new releases is to work out whether the issues being raised are simple lack of familiarity, or are there some genuine bugs. It'll calm down eventually, we're already seeing a switch from the installation issues to usability questions, which will be more fun than typing the same response over and over as we had to do on Tuesday evening/Wednesday!
It must have been fun, but I can tell you I would not upgrade this weekend as planned and might not upgrade at all. I don't like some of the things I am reading, there is nothing better to extinguish my enthusiasm that feeling forced to do something I don't want to do, even if it is supposedly good, even if is the best thing since apple pie/peanut butter. Fully symphatise with Gerald.

New features are not bug fixes and camera updates. There will be a LR6.1 etc. There will not be any new features like LR Mobile. IIRC LRMobile was slipped into LR5.4 and Standalone customers couldn't really take advantage of it but it was there for cloud customers. Face Recognition is a new feature along with HDR and Pano and for that Adobe created a new Standalone version 6 and separated features like LR Mobile into a LRCC. At some point I expect there will be a standalone LR7 unless the standalone customer base falls below some minimum needed to justify improving it. If there should not be a LR7, then I expect Adobe will continue to sell LR6 as a standalone like they do CS6 with functionality frozen but bug fixes and ACR updates continuing/

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello all!

Brand new to the forum and I could use a little help. I am having a problem with CC that I can't seem to find anyone else having. I open CC, select the library and the file I want to work in, then can see my images. This is both in the library itself and in preview. I select the "develop" module, and I can still see the images in preview at the bottom, but on the main screen, there is no image. Just a blue screen with a white "X" across it. Were it gets really strange is that if I make adjustments, I can see the adjustments being made on the preview thumbnail. So it is as if it can't display the larger image. I have tried signing out and back in, and I have uninstalled and re-installed. Any ideas?
Thanks!

I select the "develop" module, and I can still see the images in preview at the bottom, but on the main screen, there is no image. Just a blue screen with a white "X" across it. Were it gets really strange is that if I make adjustments, I can see the adjustments being made on the preview thumbnail. So it is as if it can't display the larger image. I have tried signing out and back in, and I have uninstalled and re-installed.

I suspect that's an incompatibility with your graphics card, as GPU acceleration is only used in the develop module.

Look at the "Performance" tab in Edit/Preferences and see if "Use Graphics Processor" is selected. If it is, untick it and see if that solves the problem.

If that sorts it out check that you have the latest driver for your graphics card and update it if not. If it doesn't work after doing that then your graphics card is incompatible, so just leave the "Use Graphics Processor" box unticked and all should be well.

Adobe are aware of this issue and are investigating. Certainly make sure your drivers are up to date, if they are then leave the GPU option unchecked for now. If the card really is incompatible, then Lightroom should automatically detect this and tell you that, rather than enable the feature automatically as it did.

So just to confirm, the only warning message about a trial expiry date concerns LR mobile, is that right?

If you do Help>System Info you should have the Lightroom version of CC2015, and the next line down should be License: Creative Cloud. Yes?

And on the Preferences>Lightroom mobile tab, what does the Status line say?

Do you intend to use LR mobile? If you open the Activity Centre (click on the Identity Plate), what's the status of the first entry "Sync with LR Mobile"?

Hi Jim,

Yes - the warning is about mobile.

In Help/System it shows Lightroom CC license.

The preferences tab says it's a trial ending on 24/5

I don't intend to use mobile and in the Activity Centre it says 'Sync with LR Mobile'.

Thanks for your help Jim, I'd be lost without you!

Hmm...I'd a bit surprised about this. If you're a fully-paid up subscription user, which you apparently are, I don't understand why it's showing trial status for mobile. I'll ask around.

Hmm...I'd a bit surprised about this. If you're a fully-paid up subscription user, which you apparently are, I don't understand why it's showing trial status for mobile. I'll ask around.

It's probably something I've done, I should be kept away from IT equipment :rolleyes:

No worries, let's see what I can find out.

Thanks RogerB and Jim!! Unchecking the "use graphics processor" worked. I hope they really are working to fix this issue. I would like to be able to use the full power of my machine without having to buy something else!
Thanks you!

I have a feeling some changes were made in respect of the Smart Preview generation, basically reducing the amount od CPU usage (in LR5 there were concerns that too much CPU utilisation was going into the Smart Previews build, which had a knock-on impact to other areas). But 5 times longer seems wrong, I'm certainly not seeing anything like that.

So, I did some extra testing. I used two environments:

• PC Win 8.1, i7 4 cores/8 threads processor, 16GB memory, SSD
  • MacAir OSX 10.9, i7 2 cores/4 threads processor, 8GB memory, SSD

In both tests I used 100 Panasonic RAW (RW2) files which I was importing into a new empty catalog.

The results are:
  • PC:
    • LR5 - ~2 minutes;
    • LRCC - ~10 minutes;
  • Mac
    • LR5 - ~2 minutes;
    • LRCC - ~5 minutes.

Interesting fact is that LR5 shows the count of files which were already processed by Smart Preview builder. With that you can easily notice that it increments by 7 on the PC and by 3 on the Mac. In LRCC there is no count, so it's hard to say what is happening except that it is slower. As you can see, 7 and 3 are numbers of threads processor supports minus one, which makes me think that in LR5 there are multiple threads running the Smart Previews generator, while in LRCC there is only one. Considering an overhead for the multithreading it makes perfect sense that with 8 threads the process is about 5 times faster and with 4 threads - about 2.5 times.

All that said, I wish there was an option to enable multithreading for this process. For now I might stick to not generating Smart Previews on import and build them later when I'm away from the computer.

shkin, You might evaluate your actual need for Smart Previews. If you are using LR Mobile. you are limited to sharing only those images in a Sync'd collection. It you are on a laptop and your masters are on an EHD then you only need Smart Previews for the images that you will be working on while your laptop is away from the EHD.

I do not create Smart previews on import and do not create or keep them for images that are not in my sync'd folders. So my Smart previews folder is quite small. I haven't noticed any delays Like you list , probably because I don't create Smart Previews.

In LRCC there is no count, so it's hard to say what is happening except that it is slower.

You can see the count in the new Activity Centre (click on the ID plate to show it).

shkin, You might evaluate your actual need for Smart Previews. If you are using LR Mobile. you are limited to sharing only those images in a Sync'd collection. It you are on a laptop and your masters are on an EHD then you only need Smart Previews for the images that you will be working on while your laptop is away from the EHD.

I do not create Smart previews on import and do not create or keep them for images that are not in my sync'd folders. So my Smart previews folder is quite small. I haven't noticed any delays Like you list , probably because I don't create Smart Previews.

I used to travel quite a bit, so having all images in Smart Previews was essential. I guess I should reconsider now and stop making/using them, although I don't like that I'm practically forced to do it due to software regression.

Hello,

I upgraded to the new LR6 and my new "bug" is with the crop tool. Most of the time when I go to adjust the crop (I've especially noticed it when I want to adjust the angle), it completely resets the crop window. In previous versions I didn't have this problem. Even making a slight adjustment means having to redo the entire crop. Anyone else hear of this or experiencing this problem? Know of any fixes?

Otherwise I have also experienced the increased import time. A few other smaller bugs, but comparable to what I was dealing with in previous versions. I'm finding the panorama and HDR tools quite useful, though the panorama tool crashed my computer once when trying to stitch together about ten (RAW) images. I don't think this has ever happened when doing it in PS (at least on my current PC).

Thanks for the tip. As expected, the counter is advancing 1 at a time vs 7 at a time in LR5.

I'm a bit surprised at this, so when I get some spare time I'll try to do some of my own comparative timings between LR5 and LR6, and will report back.

Hi Grzegorz

I can reproduce the squashed crop on the EM10, thanks - I'll bug that.

I can't reproduce the black preview - would it be possible to send me the bracketed files using www.wetransfer.com to mail AT lightroomqueen DOT com and I'll try to repro that one too.

Hi!
Below the screenshot of HDR Merge tool:
With "Auto tone" option enabled:
Clipboard01.jpg

And when I disable "Auto tone":
Clipboard02.jpg

The problem is not only with preview. The output file:
Clipboard03.jpg

And in develop module:
Clipboard04.jpg

But I just discovered, that the image is not completety black.
After some adjustments of highlights and shadows slider:
Clipboard05.jpg

And when I clicked on "Auto" button - everything became ok... :/
Clipboard06.jpg

And at the end - example of squashed image after HDR merge:
Clipboard07.jpg

P.S. Victoria, I'll send You in a minute bracketed files and output DNG file.

Regards

Grzegorz

Attachments

• Clipboard02.jpg
    Clipboard02.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 371
Thanks for the tip. As expected, the counter is advancing 1 at a time vs 7 at a time in LR5.

OK, got a bit of time to do some testing. First thing, the different counter increments aren't indicative of the CPU core activity, though there are some differences. For my testing I used 200 22mp raw files from my Canon 5DIII, and ran the tests in the two environments as per my signature. Note that the benchmark speeds have the MBP CPU at roughly twice the speed of my Windows desktop, and previous timing tests do normally have the MBP nearly twice as fast as the desktop. Results of my tests as follows:

1. LR5 on the MPB: 2m 58s. All 8 cores showing activity.
2. LRCC on the MBP: 2m 56s. 4 cores showing activity.

3. LR5 on the Windows Desktop: 2m 27s. All 8 cores almost maxed out.
4. LRCC on the Windows Desktop: 5m 15s. 7 cores showing activity, but never maxed out.

So work that out. For a start no way should the Windows LR5 test be faster than the MBP, unless OSX "throttles" the CPU activity to prevent meltdown.
The LRCC test results would look normal in isolation, i.e. the MBP almost twice as fast as the Windows desktop. That might also explain why the LRCC test on the MBP would be the same as the LR5 test, i.e. the LR5 test should be significantly quicker than it was. Maybe that's the anomaly I'm seeing here.

But finally, looking at the difference between the two tests on the Windows Desktop, I wasn't expecting the LRCC speed to be half the speed of LR5. I'll ask a question about that, but based on my tests your Windows test result (specifically the LRCC test) looks a little out of whack?

Did anyone have an answer to Jeff B's post:
Strange problem. I can work on an imported image without problems but when I take it into PS or OnOne (edit a copy with LR adjustments), then bring it back into LR, every adjustment I then make causes a 'blink' (image closes then reopens), after 5 - 10 seconds. I still have LR5 and this does not happen there.?

Turning GPU off or on, makes no difference.

I'm having the exact same problem and it seems we got lost in the shuffle.
Can anybody help please?
Cliff

Did anyone have an answer to Jeff B's post:
Strange problem. I can work on an imported image without problems but when I take it into PS or OnOne (edit a copy with LR adjustments), then bring it back into LR, every adjustment I then make causes a 'blink' (image closes then reopens), after 5 - 10 seconds. I still have LR5 and this does not happen there.?

Turning GPU off or on, makes no difference.

I'm having the exact same problem and it seems we got lost in the shuffle.
Can anybody help please?
Cliff

I have no answer to the problem - as I cannot reproduce it.
I just sent a photo over to PS, modified it with some Topaz plug ins, then resaved it. LR6 sees it fine, and if I make any adjustments, they stick with no "blinking".
BTW, I send a ProPhoto 16 bit Tiff over to PS, and then back.

Sorry Cliff, yes you probably did get lost among the blitz, I had intended to try to test but got embroiled in other things....sorry.

Before I try to test, however, can you clarify what file type you are sending over to PS (I don't have any of the other plug-ins, but PS should do, yes?), and what file type you are having PS send back? "Edit a copy with Lightroom Adjustments" implies you're starting with a Jpeg or other rendered file, but want to be certain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back